Thoughts on battery grips

will king

My first DSLR was the 20D, then the 5D. Sold both since and have had pro bodies since. 1D Mark III and 1Ds Mark III. I thought the pro

bodies were going to be bulky and cumbersome but they actually feel nice and I have gotten used to them. I just got the 50D and it feels

so puny and awkward especially if I have a large lens mounted on it. I was thinking of getting a battery grip for it. Does a battery grip give a

smaller camera a similar feeling to the pro bodies? Are there any disadvantages to battery grips?

I use one with my XTI (which feels really puny). My only regret was purchasing the Targus model and not the Canon brand. Otherwise it has made the camera much more enjoyable to use. It gives considerable weight and size to ALMOST make it feel like a pro camera.

I have had the battery grip on my Digital Rebel XT since day one. I have small hands but find the added size and weight very balancing to the 70-200 2.8 IS L that I often have on it...and the ability to shot "normally" with the body in vertical is a godsend as I take lots of volleyball and basketball images.

Disadvantages?...Only that if you do not get one you will be sorry. Of course you will probably want to get a second set of batteries to swap out.

I have one on my XT. I don't know how it compares with the feel of the pro bodies, but it was definitely worth the

price on that camera. Got it with an extra battery also, so the additional shot time is a bonus. It even has a built-in

slot to store the camera's original battery door that you need to remove to install the grip (at least for the XT/XTi

version).

It's a little more cumbersome to change the batteries since you have to deal with a removeable tray and it has it's

own on-off switch that I forget to turn on occasionally. I would just leave it on, but I don't know how much it would

drain the batteries...

i use a 1D MkIII, 5D and 50D. Both non-pro bodies have Canon battery grips, and feel great. They are more comfortable in hand,

much more convenient for vertical shots, and add a second battery. Not quite as comfortable as the 1D grip, but less than $200...

8-)

I have one for my 40D. While it is nice to have the extra battery, I do not find that it improves handling much, at least not for my needs. I often do not use it and get a lighter and smaller body. This was my experience with film bodies as well. While the power booster for my 1V had some pluses, for must shooting the pluses were not worth the added weight. So.... they are nice and if they feel right to you, they are worth the price and weight.

Most of my images are shot vertical so the vertical release is my main shutter button. I wonder if I can remove the other

one? My only beef with the BG-E2 is it's more difficult to tickle the joystick in vertical mode than horizontal.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I rarely take the battery grip off my 5D, so much so I lost the original battery cover and order a new one. It's easier to hold

and handle, provides better balance with larger/heavier lenses, and provides longer battery life with the extra batteries. And

the vertical controls are nice since the EOS-1N battery grip doesn't have them.

"I rarely take the battery grip off my 5D, so much so I lost the original battery cover and order a new one."

Pull the grip off and look at the part that protrudes into the camera grip area (with the electrical contacts). There's a slot to

store the original battery cover. It's probably still there...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Fabulous tip on the in grip storage for the camera battery cover door PF. Didn't spot that on my previous 400D grip or new

50D.....but now rectified! Thanks.

WK....I haven't handled pro bodies, but I shoot a lot in portrait/vertical mode and so having the vertical shutter button and

control dial are a MAJOR plus. Better battery capacity and handling/lens balance make it a really useful upgrade IMO

unless you're worried about the hit on weight/size/portability. Not an issue I imagine if you're used to pro bodies!

I used battery grips until I bought a 1D Mark III. Leaving a grip off is fine until you add a lens and flashgun. The camera then becomes unbalanced and uncomfortable to hold in my opinion - plus extra battery power is welcome and portrait shots can be taken with the same comfortable position. Yes they do give a similar feel to the 1D series with their built-in grips. But there is a bit of flex you don't get with the built-in grip and a joining ridge with is a fraction less comfortable.

I own a 450D and purchased the Canon grip after about 2 weeks of ownership. I wasn't sure if I would like it though. After using it for a few day trips I can say that I like the extra stability it provides. However, one of the main reasons I bought the XSI was its size. With larger lenses (telephoto) the grip is nice.

With that said it is a bit like Blonde or Brunet...

"As far as "balance", what is a few extra grams at the base of your camera going to do when it's perched on the back of a telephoto?"

*Plenty* - my 40D feels *much, much* better in the hand with the 100-400mm when the grip is attached.

It also makes the camera/lens combo hang better from the neckstrap - the lens isn't pointing straight down and smacking against my knees when I walk the way it does when the grip isn't attached..

The grips never come off my 30D and 40D, and Ryan's comments reflect the other reason I'm a grip fan.

Puppy Face wrote, "Pull the grip off and look at the part that protrudes into the camera grip area (with the electrical

contacts). There's a slot to store the original battery cover. It's probably still there..." Thanks. Sure enough, right where I

put it originally. Anyway, I now have some spares. Should have expected Canon to be smarter than me, at least a few

years later.

I have one on my 400D, it fits my hand much better. It's great for vertical shots, saving the wrist. It does add

weight which when it is hanging on my neck really takes a toll but what good is a camera that's hanging around

your neck?

As for balance of a larger lens, I support the lens with my left hand so I don't really notice a balance difference.

I have a 50D on order and will most likely get one for it too as I've grown used to the feel of it. The only

disadvantage that I have found is that it doesn't fit in my bag as nicely. I guess I'll have to get a larger bag.