More female photographers than male?

I just counted my camera club's membership roster as of the end of September: There are currently 69 females out

of 159 registered members. This translates to about 45%. So it appears that photography is an equal opportunity

hobby, just as IT is an equal opportunity career.

Guys, from my observation, female camera club members are every bit as serious about photography as their male

counterparts.

So no condescension is needed. LOL! One curious observation, however, photo forums are mostly frequented by

male posters. I wonder if the wives and mothers are too busy cooking, cleaning, or picking after hubbies? :)

Mary

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lex, I came by that nice slash via tarsal tunnel surgery. It was supposed to fix the pain in my foot. It didn't. Glad you got a kick out of it. I just thought that statement was so hilarious...Most women go through a photography "phase" during which they take lots of pictures of themselves and their feet and then drop it. Gotta love it.

Are there more women? All women, especially attractive, available women, should register their professional interest in photography with

me!

I wouldn't know; but, if you ever catch me before my morning coffee, I would suggest that you might find a nice,

charming, socially engaging person to be someone who would seem to offer you a better business experience than I

might on my grouchier days. Not to say that one can determine everything based on gender, but, truth is, just by virtue

of being who we are, sometimes we are (like me) not always putting our best image forward.

My guess is that there are, or soon will be, equal numbers of men and women in photography. Face it, sex has almost

nothing to do with using the buttons on the camera. But, I can tell you that in my local community, almost every job that

is perceived as requiring someone who is socially nice will be an occupation in which women seem to be much more

likely to be hired. In practice, they'll dominate. It may be more of a matter of social perceptions and preconceptions

than an actual merit-based or virtue-based drive for decision.

That said, I'm grouchy and opinionated, and I know it. I'm sure that would affect anyone's decision to hire me; not only

for photography (like, would you want to hire a grouch to photo your wedding? I wouldn't), but for anything.

The creativity thing, I think, is in a way, like social preconceptions and pressures about jobs. Are women more creative?

That's nonsense. Are men more athletic? Also nonsense. It may seem to make sense on the surface, but that's

because of the mores inside ourselves that we bring to the problem when we evaluate the question.

Christine, if that photo of your foot was your "photography phase" . . . we're gonna need one of those makeup people at

your next shoot!

Seriously, though, pull on a black evening dress, get some kind of nice black heels and a good lighting setup, and shoot

that foot again. I'll bet you'll score the avant-garde photo of the year! Image of femininity clashes with brutal scar. "6/6"

Women do have an advantage really - because they don't understand the complicated nature of cameras the technical side just doesn't matter so they just go out a press the button and take pictures. Some of them are really quite good. Blokes do like technical stuff more, which has a distinct disadvantage because it results in them sitting indoors all day twiddling with their knobs.

"Perhaps their intentions are good, but paperbound researchers tend to confuse correlation with causality, hence

the ridiculous conclusions you see quoted by the news media every day."

What you are suffering from is a sampling error. Try reading scientific journals and not CNN if you want to see

how scientists work. Pons and Fleischman got on to CNN and a lot of international media attention, but they did

not get scientific acceptance.

Based on CNN one would think that 99% of photographers specialize in celebrities, sports, politicians, and

disasters. Very few weddings and family portraits make it onto CNN.

<i>"Blokes do like technical stuff more, which has a distinct disadvantage because it results in them sitting indoors all day twiddling with their knobs."</i><p>

That would explain why my grandmother and other women in my family could operate sewing machines that gave me a headache trying to figure out.<p>

Most people don't gravitate toward technical pursuits merely because they enjoy knob twiddling. They master the knob twiddling because of a passion for the pursuit.

<i>"Blokes do like technical stuff more, which has a distinct disadvantage because it results in them sitting

indoors all day twiddling with their knobs."</i><p>

That would explain why my grandmother and other women in my family could operate sewing machines that gave me a

headache trying to figure out.<p>

Most people don't gravitate toward technical pursuits merely because they enjoy knob twiddling. They master the

knob twiddling because of a passion for the pursuit.

<b>"Mary, could you have that many female members because you, the head of the club, are a female?</b>

<p>Andrew, I am no longer prez of my camera club, as I have served my two-year term as of this summer.

Interestingly, the current president is also female. In the club's 80 years' history, we never had women presidents

until recently.

<p>Anyhow, to answer your question, this "equal opportunity hobby" has nothing to do with who is prez. Today, we

happened to have conducted an

international salon, and there were visiting reps from our affiliated associations: PSA (Phtographic Society of

America) and NECCC (New England Camera Club Council). So I asked them this same question re the gender

distribution of these larger bodies. Their observation,

not surprisingly, approximate my club's statistics: just about slightly less than 50% are female. Incidentally, this is

the the gender distribution of the workers of the salon: 4 men and 6 women. The co-chairs of the salon

consist a man and a woman.

<p>So Pete, I believe women photographers don't "just go out to press the button and take pictures" any more than

men. Kindly be informed that some of the best photographers are women.

<p>Thanks,<br>

Mary

Interesting question - I don't have any stats. Something similar crossed my mind when I spoke at a Seminar for beginning wedding photographers a few weeks ago. My session had 296 women and 11 men. The Seminar was advertised in local newspapers and several photo magazines. The disparity in numbers had me wondering why so many more women than men? ...I'm pretty confident it had nothing to do with my 'looks like George Costanza' good looks.

Just an interesting observation...

i agree with lex there are a lot more active males on PN but in the studio i managed we never had a guy photographer im not sure why but 90% of our applicants were female i do remember one guy i interviewed and he was nervous about dealing with kids so he declined his second interview.

Amber

I do feel that women are more incline to photograph weddings, and portraits, children especially. As Amber mentioned the guy who was nervous about dealing with kids. Men are more incline to photograph commercial work. So, maybe the answer is it depends on what's being photographed.

Jack, it appears the average gender distribution at camera clubs are loosely about 50-50, perhaps with the male

edging

a bit

to maybe 55%-60%. Camera club members are mostly enthusiastic amateurs and the general subject of interest is

nature, such as landscape, wildlife, macro. Surely some members also enjoy weddings, portraiture, and

photojournalism, but these are usually not the main theme of interest.

Mary

As a network engineer for a nationwide ISP, and a photographer, I can tell you that there are a lot of us women who rather

enjoy the "technical" side of things. While I am very feminine and quite hetro, not all of us care to be Suzy Homemaker or

Nurse Nancy. Not that those are not valid and rewarding occupations, but fixing such things as routing problems in the

backbone of the Internet so that traffic can get there in less hops has it's own rewards, odd as that sounds.

In my local camera club, membership runs about 60/40 in favor of the men, but, among my circle of photographer friends

all but one are women.

Girl Geeks Rule! Besides, someone has to show the guys how to make the coffee!

Jill