in need of something - How to progress and improve?

john_bullock2

so ive taking pictures for about 6 months, every now and then i get to the point where i hate every picture ive

taken and dont even want to touch my camera.

although i enjoy myself, and exploring with my camera, i dont feel im really making it anywhere. im not trying to

get a career out of this, but self satisfaction, and people around me to notice something when i post it.

i have the cheapest photoshop available, and i cant figure out how to even use it to my advantage, ive been using

hp photosmart, and pretty much makes all my photos appear almost the same in color/contrast/brightness ect.

my question i guess is, since one part of this wanting to give up is fueled by simply not being able to edit my

pictures and in my mind make them look better, you think it would be safe to just leave any editing behind and

focus on creativity within an original shot?

Hi John,

You're in need of something...patience. You're being too hard on yourself and your expectations may be too high. If you've been shooting for 6 months, you're still learning about many things. I've been taking pictures my whole adult life, just snapshots. Now I'm trying to get better, and over the last few years I see that I have gotten better. I just keep shooting away, reading stuff, trying stuff out and learining what I like. My advice is to try to enjoy the journey and don't worry so much about the destination. Take pictures because you like to, not because you want to get somewhere. I think you'll find that if you truly enjoy the journey, you will eventually make it to your destination.

Keep playing with your software. Don't expect to master it in 6 months. Take one feature of it (live levels, or curves, or layers) and play with one feature for a while to see what's possible. There are tons on online resources - web site and YouTube tutorials - for just about everything you can think of.

And don't think so much about creativity in your shooting. Find out what you really love to shoot - flowers, landscapes, people, bugs, street...whatever. Once you find out what you really love, do it al lot. You'll get better.

Editing your pictures is not a fundamental thing, but I also have the cheapest photoshop and I can tell you how to make a picture better.

Open the program in edit and enhace photos. Then open the picture you want to work with. (file, opem select the photo) then move contrast and that stuff in the bar enhace. There's contrast, lighting, shadows, brightness etc.

If this isn't possible go to the place where the layers are (right side of your screen) and make right click, then select unlock layer.

To crop just select the crop tool, crop the image and make right click over it and select either copy for layer, cut for new layer etc.

For getting better photos, try going to an interesting place, as an old building. Search the best angles and set you camera. If it is a old building make it on sunset or sunrise, if the building is modern and has a lot of crystals make it in mid-day.

Hope this helps you

Christine's advice is spot-on. Digital photography has tended to shift the burden of creative processing from the professional labs to the photographers. Consider it a challenge and opportunity.

Just as with the traditional darkroom, many experienced digital photographers continue to learn and grow, even taking advanced seminars, for a lifetime. Nikon Forum moderator Shun Cheung, a talented and experienced photographer, recently mentioned having attended an advanced Photoshop seminar earlier this year. I should do the same. Despite having worked with digital editing and design software for almost 20 years, my skills are sadly out of date, stuck in the early 2000's.

But it isn't necessary to master Photoshop to see more varied results. There are many easy to use programs with more intuitive interfaces. Take a look at PictoColor Corp's iCorrect software. Download the free trials and experiment. Last time I tried it, their trialware is full featured without time constraints, but all output is watermarked to encourage purchase. Other programs may be full featured but with limited trials or may output only to low resolution files. But try some of the more user friendly "kiosk" interface type programs. You might find they suit your preferences better than the Photoshop approach.

I don't think photoshop is the answer. I have shot both with film and digital and usually the only photoshop work I do is a little sharpening before I print. I really like that elephant shot you have in your gallery. I don't necessarily think that it would have been better if his eye was open- just different. Having the elephant's eye open would have changed the whole mood of the photo but it may not have made it better.

Good advice from Christine. It's a creative AND a technical thing ... getting the basics right is important. I would suggest that you buy a good technical book on photoshop and use it to understand things a bit at a time (the 'real world' series is great). Creatively, get out there and have a go. Keep scrap books. Look critically at magazine photos. I can't remember who it was (Ansell Adams? David Bailey) who when asked how many great pictures he takes a year, answered: "one, perhaps two". It's difficult and requires patience, practice and study. Years of it! But every now and then you produce a photo that you know is good and it feels great.

I agree to be patient, take a step at time and enjoy the journey and also keep up with the digital revolution and learn Post Production skills.

But, INITIALLY, I believe your EMPHASIS should be placed within Nick`s philosophy:

``I don't think photoshop is the answer.``

I think that you should challenge yourself to master fine and as near perfect JPEG capture direct out of the camera: concentrating on the lightscape, composition, timing, camera viewpoint, lens and aperture selection and manual exposure.

By all means shoot RAW simultaneously and Post Produce them, but put your emphasis on what you see through the Viewfinder and mastering the Manual capture of it.

WW

Hi,John- William's nailed it for you here. Get the those jpegs right in-camera learning all the basics first before photoshopping, which should merely be the icing on the cake. Also read books, mags, visit websites and see what others are doing, especially those with the same gear as yours. Join a camera club, hang out with your photo buddies, take some short courses, and if possible find a good teacher/mentor. Just hang in there, mate, and you'll reap the rewards down the track...good luck.

i deeply appreciate everyones help. i havent used my camera in a week.

tommorow is my big day, im going with a clear mind, and exploring somewhere different for once!

throughout this time i have actually picked up some basic skill in photoshop, and to be honest im less worried about it, and more worried about just enjoying myself.

thanx again, and go out there and take some pictures!!!!! lol