Alternative for Canon's Wireless File Transmitter WTF-E ?

cm1

There are two ways how you can transmit photos without a wire:

- a 20$ USB WiFi adaptor

- a 1000$ WTF-E4 from Canon

The only difference I can see is that Canon's device is huge and fits a digital EOS, the USB device is tiny and

doesn't fit.

This is crying out for a 3rd party product, but I only found the Eye-Fi cards that have some major limitations

(slow, short range...).

Is there anything else?

I don't think the USB Wi-Fi adapter would work, even if it fit. It needs to be connected to a computer which acts

as a host so it can connect to a Wi-Fi router. Your camera won't act as the host by itself, it wants to be a USB

slave that connects to a host.

This really is an opportunity for a 3rd party product, but the more I think it through, the more I realize that

it's not going to be inexpensive. The camera-end has to have a host computer to get the pictures from the camera,

enough memory to cache pictures if they arrive faster than they can be transferred, a Wi-Fi transceiver, and a

power supply. All in a convenient, bullet-proof (not literally) package, for less then $1,000.

The transfer speed is going to be limited by the camera's USB 2.0 port, nothing is going to get data out of the

camera any faster.

<Chas>

It's too bad the camera won't work with the CF door open, which it has to be with an SD-CF adapter in place ;-(

The Eye-Fi has limitations in that it won't work with RAW files, and it's range is very short because the transmitter ends up inside the metal camera body. And it's a PITA to set up if you don't already have a Wi-Fi network in place, i.e., at an event.

<Chas>