Marvelous photo exhibition of portraits by Alexander McIntyre at the RAA London

Laurent, it's hard to get any idea of what he has produced, either from your link or by googling his name and the words

photographs, photography or photographer.

Do you have his site name?

I know there is some good portrait work out there. Yousuf Karsh is one to look at if you want to see what can be done in that area. Or that

great early twentieth century German photographer, August Sanders.

There is an exhibition now of Karsh portraits in the MFA in Boston which got a bad review in a local newspaper.

I haven't seen the exhibit myself but after reading the review I think its author missed an important point - if you're paying someone big bucks (pounds,Euros, whatever) for a portrait you'd better be shown as noble, handsome, pretty, etc. If you want to see a more realistic portrait find a street photographer or a neighbor with a camera. IMHO

Chartles, it's true, Karsh photographed famous persons, but he did try to express the essence of his subject, whether Churchill,

Riopelle, Kruschev, Trudeau, McLaren, Hemingway or others, and I doubt he was greartly limited in his freedom to portray

his subject. A lot of his photos are nonetheless favourable to his subject, perhaps like the aim of a wedding photographer rather than

a social realism approach of a Sebastien Salgado or HCB.