Next step for Canon (1D series)

steve.elliott

After replying to a recent post that got deleted for straying off topic. I thought I'd start a new topic - what do you think

Canon's priorities for the next 1D series should be?

2 compact flash slots would be much prefereable. Compact flash cards are far more rugged and easily available at

the larger sizes.

Personally, I wish Canon would stop chasing mega pixels and concentrate totally on image quality - not size. Low

noise in poorly lit wedding venues is a top priority for me, followed by 16-bit colour, eventually 32-bit colour.

"Compact flash cards are far more rugged [than SD cards]"

Evidence?

At least as far as the contact mechanism is concerned, the contact pads of an SD card are far less vulnerable

that the pins of the socket into which a CF card fits, and I have seen many posts about the expensive repair

required when a pin is inadvertently bent. OK, it's not damage to the CF card as such - much worse!

Built-in wi-fi and GPS would be nice. Expanded dynamic range mode, so you could do HDR in-camera in one single shot, which I guess would also require a new metering system. Auto distortion and CA correction, based on the connected lens? However, based on the AF issues with 1D3, I doubt that the next 1D series will have any revolutionary features - it is first and foremost a tool for professionals, not a technology showcase.

<i>At least as far as the contact mechanism is concerned,</i>

<p>

Right, but if you treat your readers and cards with respect, there should not be a bent pin. A bent pin doesn't

mean lost data since the card is not the one with the pins.

<p>

I am sure the original poster means that the CF card itself is more rugged than an SD card. And I am pretty sure

this is correct.

<p>

Canon's approach with one SD and one CF card slot is strange, as it may be difficult to find two cards with the

exact same specs so you can make 1:1 copies of everything as you shoot. And the largest card sizes (which mean

you won't ever have to risk a bent pin) are only CF.

Personally, I think we can expect a boost in megapixels, no matter what. Both the Mark IIIs are competitively "underpowered" in the current marketplace. I also hope Canon just doesn't overdo it. I'd rather have a really good 12MP 1D and 24MP 1Ds than ultra high MP that compromise elsewhere.

They need VGA LCDs, too. No doubts there.

High ISO capabilities.The market is demanding this, so expect it. IMO, even if ISO 25600 gets a little noisy, it's better to have it than not.

I'd very much like to see extensive low ISO capabilities... Down to ISO 6 or 12 would be cool. Yes, I know that might effect image quality too.

While we're at it... What's up with "L" and "H" or "H1, H2"? Stop with that sort of thing and just put it on the scale... we know what "6400", 12800 and 25600 mean and don't need to be protected from it by calling it something else. Okay, a "lockout" to prevent accidentally setting a high (or low) ISO might be a good idea for a custom function. But, default should just simply be a complete and ISO numerical scale.

We can expect some attention will be paid to these camera's AF, even if it's just minor tweaks and marketing rhetoric. Canon probably really, really wants to put the AF issues, real or imagined, of the 1D M3 well behind them. I suspect we would have seen "N" versions of both cameras by now, mostly for the addition of VGA LCDs, if it weren't for all the negative press about AF. So, they'll make a clean break to Mark IV versions, and are probably delaying and testing any new models pretty thoroughly. Canon won't want to repeat the AF fiasco!

I'd also like to see two CF cards instead of a mixture of card types. No comments about which type is better, I'd just prefer to only have to buy one and I likte CF better because they are a little larger and less easily misplaced or accidentally left in a pocket that's headed for the laundry.

I really, really hope they don't start sticking too many additional gimmicks in their cameras. I don't want movie mode... the make video cameras for that. I don't want audio recording, I have a recorder for that. I don't want built in wireless flash control, wifi or GPS. I'd much rather all functions like these be handled by a module that's separate from the camera, rather than sticking more in there to break and require the entire camera be sent in for service.

Thankfully, I doubt they'll put face recognition on a 1D series camera.

A smaller/lighter overall package would sure be nice!

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see third full frame Canon model appear, either. Maybe the mythical "3D"! I'd expect it to be positioned between the 1Ds and 5D, so a "3" designation would be a natural.

no point adding more MP that's for sure

the best L glass is already the limiting factor with the current mkiii and its far cheaper and easier to resize in photoshop than it is buy a whole new body

imo they should concentrate on dynamic range and high ISO

<i>And the largest card sizes (which mean you won't ever have to risk a bent pin) are only CF.</i><p>The largest cards you can buy now from the usual sources are 32gb, available in both CF and SD.<p><i>Canon's approach with one SD and one CF card slot is strange, as it may be difficult to find two cards with the exact same specs so you can make 1:1 copies of everything as you shoot. </i><P>"May be" doesn't translate to reality. I shoot with both cards in and have no problems. When you use your 1D, what are you putting in it?

Agreed, there's no point increasing megapixels but that doesn't mean Canon won't do it... I think they will. I think we'll be looking at 16-21MP and 10fps for the 1D MkIV and, most importantly, full frame sensor. I truly hope we've seen the last of the 1.3x crop sensors and I think Canon must surely realise this. If they pull that off and make the AF better then it'll be superb.

"While we're at it... What's up with "L" and "H" or "H1, H2"? Stop with that sort of thing and just put it on

the scale... "

It's because it's not really ISO50/ISO6400 etc. The sensor only works from 100 to 3200 (for the MkIII)

and the other settings are just the same data but halved or doubled. There's nothing to be gained by

using ISO50 that you can't do post-processing-wise from the same ISO100 shot. So it would be

misleading for Canon to put it on the camera as a real ISO50 or ISO6400 setting.