FM2n + MD-12 drive .... meter problem?

b_c12

I have an FM2n that I love dearly. I recently acquired a mint condition MD-12 to go with it. One of

my favorite lenses is my 75-150mm series E. I find that the MD-12 helps balance things nicely...and heck, it's nice

to have the auto winding sometimes.

Anyway, my understanding is that the MD-12's shutter button is supposed to activate the FM2's meter when

depressed slightly - just like the camera's own shutter release. My MD-12 doesn't do this, and I don't know what

I"m doing wrong (or what's wrong with the unit). I keep the camera's lever advance in the "flush" position with the

winder attached. It's a pain right now, when the MD-12 is attached, because I have to pull the advance lever out and

activate the meter with the camera's shutter release.

The MD-12 functions perfectly otherwise.

Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong here?

Many thanks in advance!

The MD-12 should be able to operate with the FM2N with the film advance lever flush. Be sure the AA batteries are fresh, the contacts are clean, etc. Even with nearly exhausted batteries mine works altho' the film advance action is slower than normal.

I wouldn't use a pencil eraser. They'll leave a gummy residue on the contacts. An ink eraser is more effective but must be used very cautiously, and never use one on gold plated contacts. A cotton swab very slightly moistened in oil-free isopropyl alcohol is good enough to wipe oxidation from the contacts.

If there's any corrosion you'll need more aggressive cleaning, but let's save that for an extreme situation.

The meter must operate with the motor drive button slightly pressed. Remember that the MD-12 does not supply

power to the camera meter, unlike MD-4 or MD-15. Is the camera body battery fresh and in good condition?

Otherwise, there is a problem with either the motor drive button switch or the FM2 ~ MD12 electrical interface.

Thanks for all the offers of ideas. I will try cleaning the contacts with an ink eraser this morning.

The FM2 has a newish battery (maybe 6 months old) and the meter works perfectly without the MD-12 attached. The MD-12 has fresh energizer AA's and winds just fine.

I've examined the drive and can not detect any cracks around the shutter button. In fact, there's not a scratch on the entire unit. It looks like it's been in a time capsule for the last 20 years.

I'll report back this evening...and again, thanks so much for your responses.

• 3 weeks later...