Switching fron Canon

ramsdell photography

<p>I am considering switching from Canon to Nikon, I shoot canon right now, with sigma lenses and am NOT happy with the results I have been getting, My camera is on its last legs as well so I am considering my options. Just from poking around on the net they seem less expensive then Canon (I at looking at used gear to start), any tips? Whats a good model, I dont need top of the line pro yet (I wish!) but want something better than consumer grade. I am not familiar with the Nikon models/lenses. Thanks!<br /> <br /> -jared</p>

<p>Unless you need a particular Nikon camera body or lens that Canon doesn't have equivalents (there are a few of those, but not all that many, e.g. the 200-400mm/f4 AF-S VR. Canon also makes a few lenses that Nikon doesn't have), switching camera brands will unlikely improve your photography.</p>

<p>For perhaps 90%+ of us, the main limitations to our photography is behind the camera.</p>

<p>Some of us are not familiar with Canon models. Is 10D a pro model? If so, the equivalent of that in Nikon's line up would be a D300. The Nikon D40/60/3000/500, like the Rebel lines, target the "new" dSLR users, and then there is the D90 that sits in the middle. Without knowing what you specifically dislike about your current system, it is hard for us to guide you any further. Sigma makes a wide range of lenses and their pro levels lenses (EX) are very good, and in many way, as good as Nikon or Canon's in optical quality. </p>

<p>If you want a random suggestion, I would say take a look at the D90, which has many pro-like qualities but is priced for the mass. At the moment, Canon does not yet have a model that directly competes with it. The D90 has great performance in low light, dynamic range, AF/speed.frame rate, and can shoot video. Instead of getting the kit lens, I would recommend the new Nikon AFS 35/1.8 lens to go with it. So if any one just starts out and is serious about photography, the D90 is a great choice. However switching system is laborious and costly, and for most people, it makes no difference in the photos that you take.</p>

<p>Get Nikon for sure!..Best in the world.</p>

<p>No; wait; maybe that was Canon...Ummmm; darn; I forgot.</p>

<p>Jared; ANY camera is a compromise. I've yet to see the perfect camera body or lens for that matter.<br>

This is the Nikon forum, so naturally mostly Nikon people hang around here, and yes; we all have a biased POV.</p>

<p>Research...do what works for you.<br>

Image quality, usability, build quality..I could have gone either way.<br>

Both companies make a excellent product.</p>

<p>What I find interesting, and I believe someone else alluded to this, 90% of people using $2,000 camera bodies use about 40% of the features; ever!<br>

..Hmmm? Might as well buy a quality P&S.</p>

The Canon 10D is about the equal of the Nikon D70. A "prosumer" crop frame with a few more bells and whistles then their (Canon's) Rebel series...Just like the D70 had a better build then the pure consumer D40, 50, 60...

For Nikon the D200 and D300 would both be steps up in body. But you have to ask yourself is it worth the expense?

For the record - I shoot Sigma lenses on my D200 / D300's and don't have any sharpness issues.

Dave

<p>I am a Nikon user, mostly a function that the bodies simply seem to fit my hands better than the Canon bodies I sampled.<br /> But honestly, I won't defend any notion that Nikon makes a better camera/lenses than Canon. They are both top notch gear and I would be perfectly happy with a Canon system.<br /> I can't offer a personal view on Sigma optics always sticking with Nikkor optics but I'm sure there are endless reviews on the www for any and all of your Sigma optics. Suggest you read them before dissing Canon.<br /> One last thing, a good carpenter never blames his tools.</p>

<p>The Canon 10D (introduced in 2003) is roughly the equivlanet of the Nikon D100 and D70 from the same period. Apparently due to Canon's lack of future planning, even though the 10D has a 1.6x crop sensor, it cannot use the many EF-S lenses today (roughly equivalent to Nikon DX); that is the main drawback for the 10D other than the fact that DSLRs from 2003 is somewhat "ancient" in today's standards.</p>

<p>I don't know how many other Canon-mount lenses and accessories the OP has and exactly what the budget is, but a Canon 50D or the just announced 7D could be good choices. Otherwise, if the OP has not many Canon lenses, Nikon certainly has many nice DSLRs at all price ranges.</p>

<p>Oh I wasnt dissing Canon, more so Sigma, its just that, if I need a new body anyways, and am not pleased with my lenses that I currently have, this would be a good time to switch platforms if I was so inclined. I am doing my research, part of research is asking the folks that use the products that you are interested in is if they are happy with them.</p>

<p>I've used both systems. If you are comfortable with the handling and features of Canon, you are probably better off with a newer Canon and a Canon lens or two. If you still want to consider Nikon, you need to spend some time studying and handling their cameras to see how they differ from Canon and whether they will work for you. The image quality of the two brands is comparable, so switching brands alone won't improve your results. Some people do prefer the out-of-camera "look' of one brand over another, but that is a subjective judgment that only you can make.<br /> It is generally true that the better Canon and Nikon lenses will give you better results than Sigma's products. There isn't much difference, however, between Sigma and the cheaper kit lenses that N&C make.<br /> Since you're buying used, the Canon 40D is still a very nice camera that gives very good results. Paired with their 17-85 EF-S and you would see an improvement in basic image quality over your current setup. A Nikon D80/D90 with 16-85 DX might be comparable.<br /> But as everyone here has already said, good results are 10% camera, 90% photographer.</p>

<p>I`m not used to all models, but <strong>to me</strong> the Nikon line is divided in three groups (please excuse me if I`m wrong):</p>

<p>The "pro" line, cameras with built-in battery grips. D3X, D3. Top models, very expensive and full frame.<br>

<br />The semi-pro line (they are included in the pro-line in some countries), advanced cameras with many "pro" features, in full format (D700) and cropped "DX" format (D300). The D700 image quality is the same as the D3. The D300 surpass the previous pro model, the D2X. Both D700 and D300 are interesting, depending on the kind of lenses/subjects you want to use use/shoot, and both have similar image quality at base ISO. If you want high ISO performance, the D700 is the winner.</p>

<p>The rest of models, are considered as consumer models but some are capable of high quality results, like the D90. This one has somewhat video ability and its image quality rivals the D300.</p>

<p>That`s all.</p>

<p>So you're going to ditch your 10D and your lenses anyway, and are up in the air now as to what to replace them with, since you'll be starting fresh anyway. I'm going to ask the usual questions:</p>

<p>What do you want to use the camera for? What are your requirements?</p>

<p>If you're the kind of person who's going to buy a D90, well, there's nothing better for you to get than a D90. But maybe you want a full frame 24MP camera, in which case the D3X is very good but the 5DII is also very good and a lot cheaper, and Sony just got into the under-$2000 price range. So without knowing more about you, it's really not possible for anybodt to answer your question.</p>

<p>I must say, I do love my Nikon stuff but if I was looking for a big upgrade (going full-frame) I would look long and hard at the 5D MkII. What a sweet rig, especially paired with that, what, 24-105/f4 IS lens? I think that's the one.</p>

<p>Seems to me that the Canon lenses tend to run a bit less in price than their Nikon equivalents. Also, seems more Canon lenses have IS than Nikkors have VR. Not that this matters a LOT, but some of the L series shorter zoom lenses have IS whereas none of the pro-line short zoom Nikkors have VR (like the 17-55). Obviously both systems are present in the 70mm+ lenses.</p>

<p>Before you consider ditching Canon, have a look at the 7D (18MP crop camera) that has just been announced. There is talk that it beats the IQ of the D700 (a full frame camera) below ISO 1600. I am a Canon user and I find that hard to believe. The D3 and D700 are still the high ISO champions, closely followed by the Canon 5D2 (my camera). If the rumour mill has any truth to it the 7D is going to be one hell of a camera at a not too silly price. Naturally full frame will always hold some advantages but make sure you do your homework thoroughly before parting with your money.</p>

<p>Frankly, any current Nikon or Canon will be streets ahead of your old 10D in terms of image quality. Consumer grade Sigma lenses are not so hot. Try their EX lenses or stick to Nikon and Canon's own lenses. However, as many people here have been saying, the biggest difference is you... not the camera.</p>

<p>It sounds like you're unhappy with both your lenses and camera so it is one of those rare times when a change is at least a realistic possibility. Probably the best course of action would be a visit to a decent camera store where you could actually look at and discuss some of the current offerings from both companies to get a better idea of what suits your needs and budget. For a decent rundown on Nikon's lineup of cameras and lenses, you might look at Thom Hogan's website, www.bythom.com. He is quite knowledgeable and unbiased (although very opinionated).</p>

<p>Nikon cameras that currently occupy the middle ground between consumer and pro include the D300 and D90. You should be able to find some comparisons of those models with their competition by looking at the reviews on dpreview.com and other digital camera reviews.</p>

<p>Quick answer: (all used if possible) D90, 28-105 Zoom, and an sb600. I am pleasently suprised by the 28-105 zoom.<br>

And is really has good macro capabilities. </p>

<p>The not-so-short-answer would be to read, google, visit local camera stores and try each brand.</p>

<p>Well I can tell you my story.... we switched from Canon to Nikon when Canon introduced the 50D. I was tired of more mega-pixels and still having the same *not to good* (being polite) AF & metering system. We picked up a couple of D300 cameras and couldn't be happier. Now, had Canon introduced the 7D instead of the 50D about one-year ago, we probably would not have switched (so long as the 7D claims of better AF and metering hold true). However, I can say that I throughly enjoy shooting with then Nikon cameras far more than I ever did shooting with Canon cameras. Now I know I have been putting a lot more into my photography since making the switch- but a big part of that is because I enjoy it more. We shot with the 10D on up and it was wearisome fighting the camera to get what I wanted. Now it just seems I am working with the camera to get what I want. Maybe it's all in my head... but that's where it has to start!</p>

<p>You specifically mentioned used gear. I love Nikon because of the wide variety of generally well-regarded manual focus lenses that can be had for cheap. Take the plunge with any of the suggestions given thus far (particularly with the D200, 300, 300s, or 700, as they'll meter with the manual focus lenses) and I bet you won't regret it!</p>

<p>Ergonomics. Do what feels best for YOU.<br>

Both Nikon and Canon are fabulous cameras, so go to the camera store, and try, and feel both camera lines. Which is best in YOUR hands? Which feels as if it is glued to the hands - which feels like a heavy brick?<br>

When you have answered that, you know which camera maker to look further into.</p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>