New England Foliage, Fall 2008

ShunCheung

As the foliage season begins, I am starting this thread to discuss the conditions of the current season. If you have

any updated information on Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, etc., please post it here.

I'll be in New England next week and am planning to add updates here, hopefully with some current images.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in southern New England and nothing really hear yet, except in the River valleys, wher it's just starting. I saw a foliage report over the weekend which indicated peak should be right around Columbus day, or shortly there after due to a wetter than normal season.

Very variable in downeast Maine. Some very nice color already inland a little bit, say, near Cherryfield. Just startgin to turn around my house, near Ellsworth. Haven't been to Acadia for a week or so unfortunatley so I don't know what's happeniing there.

I took the shot below on the way back home from Columbia Falls today.<div>00R0ks-74465584.jpg.b945cadb761640667ac971ac91147184.jpg</div>

Test

Maine - Lewiston/Auburn to Portland. This past weekend there was very little wind despite the hurricane in the area. There were few waves breaking over the at the Portland Headlight. Fall color right now is very deceiving. The hills are still green. Driving around on the back country roads, the colors hit peak overnight in some areas. The foliage along the roads is great. Watch for color along streams, rivers, and small ponds that run along the back country roads.

The I 95 corridor from Portland to Lewiston is in some places awesome. There's still a lot of green in the hills. I got up to Boothbay Harbor. US 1 has a lot of color now. Boothbay is still pretty green.

I've returned several times to the same spot on a pond during the past week. The trees turned red and the leaves fell in the course of 5 days, a very surprising turn around. Yesterday, there was no wind and light fog rolling in at dusk. Good color and perfect reflections, what more can you ask? I met another photographer with a tripod and the same idea.

I'd love to hear a report on Bar Harbor or Baxter Park and Mt Katahdin.<div>00R0mR-74479584.jpg.ffacd4ac908eb81b9681cc1e2558eeb4.jpg</div>

Yes, it seems like the colors are turning a bit early this year. It rained heavily in Southern NE over the entire weekend, I suppose this might have hastened the change of colors. By the same token, much of the leaves have departed from the branches. I wonder how Vermont and NH are like at this time. These two states are always a pleasure to visit, foliage or no foliage.

Mary

Clarification: Most of the trees are still green in Rhode Island (southern NE), where I live. Those that have turned

colors have lost leaves due to the rain, but still pretty. Shun, I hope you will have a great time. Btw, I will be at the

Portland, ME area a week after you. Wonder if there will be any remnants left.

Mary

I am traveling to Maine next week to Acadia National Park for the week (rented a house outside Bar Harbor). According to the reports I have received, "Down East" will be high color or peak next week (yeah.. sometimes you just hit it right). Northern ME, Elevations above 1700 Feet in the Adirondacks will be at peak NOW and the Catskills are at High color now (above 1700 feet).

The Hudson Valley is low color, not peak yet. Northern ME and the Higher elevations or VT and NH and northern VT and NH are all at peak now.

I expect to have some stuff to share when I get back the following week. I am shooting 645MF, 35mm Slides and Prints and some Digital to share on the Net.

BTW I was in the Adirondacks last week for two days and the foliage was just starting to "pop" there (first hand look).

FWIW the High Peaks areas showed evidence (a good deal of evidence) of Moose activity along with lots of bear. I was in some very remote areas off public lands and will be developing the film when I get back from ME. Pristine Lakes and colorful trees.. blue skies etc. Very nice. Fog was a problem in the early morning, but evening light was just stunning, especially with the red shift.

Flew into Burlington, VT and the colors were spectacular. Well, they were from the air anyway. Once up close in the local mountains, it was more patchy. Northern VT was much more colorful. The reds were richer but because of rain and wind, the maple leaves were all over the ground. Traveled south down to Montpelier. Just too early for that part of Vermont.

Now hiking the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Sad to say, the colors here are much less vibrant than Vermont. Maybe it just means the best is yet to come or maybe Vermont really does have the best color (their claim).

Early next week will be Maine. Like a couple others, plan to spend a few days in Bar Harbor/Acadia.

The foliage reports are pretty good generally but even in some non-peak areas, there are some good spots.

Today I drove up from Mass to Chester VT. There is heave color in most areas like woodstock and ludlow but there is not alot of bright color. It looks muted. Tomorrow I am heading up towards Montpelier and they say it is peaking there. I hope there is some reds. Not many reds in the lower half of VT. Has anyone made it to Chocorua pond, NH yet tis year? How is it?

I was on the Kankamagus as well as through Crawford and Franconia Notches today

Above the notches is at/past peak as is the K at Kankamagus Pass (at 3000ft)

(some trees are crinkling and many birches are now bare yet some are still green )

Lots of "ruddy" reds but not as much blazing scarlet. Still really nice.

Downslope still a lot of deciduous green (oak and ash) so lots of color to go yet.

(did not visit Mt Washington Valley or Pinkham notch)

Water is kind of high and Silver Cascade in Crawford Notch is the best it has been in a long time.

Swift river on the Kank has nice riffles and color (a 2 stop solid ND is helpful)

Lily Pond on the Kank is up by as much as a foot - the big boulder is barely visible - nice view in ealy light.

(Small bull moose splashing around in the deep shadows)

Snow on Mt Washington but it was in the clouds.

Snow on Mt Lafayette visible from the Hugh Galen view point/bridge above Franconia notch. on the bike path.

(I'll bet the view from Sugar Hill would have been super)

I was told that Rte 153 south of Conway is "best in years"

Based on this I would guess Chocorua Lake area still has a lot of color left.

In fact I'm going back next week so hope no big rain knocks it down.

Regards

Bob

Just finished a few days in Crawford and Franconia Notches. Crawford had some nice color but it seemed to be more spread out. Hiked to the Falls there (nasty with a lot of photo gear). Not great color on the hike but some nice shots along the way.

Franconia had better richer color and more of it. Hiked to Bald Mountain this morning. Nice view but very foggy. Once it cleared, the view was great but Cannon Mt is pretty green. Perhaps the best is yet to come.

So far, the colors have been a bit deeper in Vermont, especially in the northern part of the state. Best color may have been in St Albans but it rained shortly after getting there.

Now off to Acadia.

Agree with Bob's comments about the Kank highway. Very nice drive. Would add that Bear Notch Road is a must see. Great scenery and excellent color.

Chose to go Rt 2 to Acadia, slower but very neat going through many small towns. Colors generally were weaker along the road but definitely got better approaching Bar Harbor. Maybe cooler weather helped bring out the colors a little early. Will know more on the hike through Acadia tomorrow.