"Wow, you have a really nice camera"

scott_mills

Hey,J.O'K.O....I won't be deleting your stuff...I may not agree with everything you say-e.g. if you were a pagan Canonite or something ghastly like that...but if I was to comment on your "nice camera" and you engaged me in friendly conversation and even inspired me to try new things with my photography wouldn't that be a great result for both of us? Maybe our grave new world considers mentoring to be old hat and un-PC. The behaviour of that "artist" to you as a teenager was reprehensible and told us more about her own problems and her inability to answer a simple kid's question. So you continue to put in your two cents worth- I look forward to it. Oh,and I notice you appear to be a bit of a loose cannon....I like that, I just hope you're not a pagan Canonite.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, and instructive, as this sort of thing just happened to me. I had to present at my firm's conference in Hungary a couple of

weeks ago. As I'd never been to Budapest (and a wonderful city to shot btw), I brought my camera and favorite travel lens

(a 5D with a 24-70L). When I started snapping shots on the first night, one after another they came up to me saying "wow,

that's a real camera" or "are you also a professional photographer" or "you must take nice pictures".

The funny thing is that I didn't bring a flash, and because lighting conditions were abysmal, I had to go long exposures (but I

also didn't have a tripod) or switch to fast ISO. Anyone here should know the outcome - a lot of good shots only because I

have some experience, but also many poor shots.

I posted the better shots online for everyone to see, apologising that I hadn't had time to edit them but that if anyone wanted

a print of a shot, that I would clean it up. To you lot, these photos would need a bit of cleaning up. Here's the instructive bit:

100% of the responses I got were of the "Wow, thank you very much, I really enjoyed seeing them."

Most people have no idea what a technically good photo looks like. It's worth remembering that sometimes. Not all our shots

need to be gallery-quality, even as we strive for that :-)

I just had this conversation with some of my music colleagues. When someone hears me play my violin, they'll often say "Wow, that's a great violin"......not acknowledging that it actually may be me making the violin sound good. :) And another similar experience is with regard to cooking. I love to cook, and I'm often told "That's a great recipe". Well, maybe it is, but I deserve some of the credit too. I'm rather new to dslr photography, so I haven't experienced any such situations in photography, but I'm sure I will sooner or later. Just grin and bear it. People mean well, or are ignorant, or don't know how to give a proper compliment. or they're just clueless. It's not worth worrying over. Find the people who CAN stroke you (like this PN community), and let us appreciate you!