Canon F1 50th Anniversary Model

baris_john

The company we know as Canon has been making cameras since 1933 in 1947 the Name of the company was changed to CANON

So if this is a 50th anniversary model then it is to commemorate the name change but not the company. In looking through the web and my books and my 2005 2006 Edition of McKeown's Price Guide to Antique and Collectible Cameras ( the Bible of camera collecting) I see no mention of a 50th anniversary F-1 it does how ever list the LA Olympics edition.

Canon did make a big deal about the EOS 650 as being introduced on the 50th anniversary of the name change.

I'm not saying they didn't make them I'm just saying after 8 years of discussing Canon FD cameras almost every day on the internet I don't remember seeing one or reading any discussion of them.

There is an old posting in photot.net about special F-1's where this version is mentioned. About 1 - 1 1/2 year ago i think. I was trying to back track the photo.net postings but did not find it. Anyway I remember Lindy Stone commenting about it in wondering "what year Canon thought the would celebrate their 50th anniversary....". In that posting there is a picture of a 50th F-1N being on sale at the time I believe from one of the large businesses in Germany frequently selling used stuff on ebay. Lindy, do you recall? If you find it please link the info to this posting.

Well I don't know if this meaningfully adds to the discussion, but it was packaged in a gold box with reflective metallic gold letters. It was sold with an AE finder and a certificate of authenticity (as if it wasn't unique enough). Ask the dealer for the serial number - that might give a clue as to the number of them made if it is a unique code. I have seen two for sale on Ebay in the last year or so - never paid attention to the price (I like my spouse).

I remember it. F-1N with a special logo for 50th anniversary and all documentaion was in japanese and in a special

box. Sounds like a mint in the box camera the high end germany based e bay company has run off and on for sale

over the years.

Its the perfect item for a F-1 collector who needs an example of everything canon made for F-1 proline.

For me I rank F-1 collectalbles like this:

Olive Drab F-1 #1

1984 LA Olympics #2

50th Anniversary F-1N #3

Montreal F-1 #4

Lake Placid F-1n #5

2000 euros can buy a photographer alot of equiptment to use or a collector one camera the covet and cherrish. While

I owned the earliest known to exist olive drab F-1 I ran two rolls of film through it. Which compared to the 2nd owners

never using it for 27 years seemed a good thing to do. Lately I've been buying photo equiptment only to use so one

really needs a collector mentality to buy a $3,000 camera to keep prestine.

Lindy

Some additions to the collectible list could very well be the F1 & F1N high speed as well as the press photograher version of the F1N without manual vinding lever. All these are very rare, I have only seen the press photgrapher once on ebay. Does anyone have an idea about production volumes for these?

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen the same German company advertise the 50th anniversiary F-1 and also an LA- F-1 with the gold logo regular Eye Level Finder FN now That would be a hard one to get.

BTW there is a 40th anniversiary AE-1 - from 1977 (says since 1937 on the engraved pentaprism top plate).

I think there were fewer 50th anniversiary F-1s than there were OD F-1s. but I'm just guessing. I have two of each of the Olympic F-1s one mint and one user of each, plus some 58MM Montreal caps!!! They fit the FD 55mm F1.2s nicely.

I took my user Lake Placid F-1 to Aruba two years ago and the boat tour guys were amazed, they kept calling me "FBI guy". I had a Motor drive MF and the 28-85mm F4 zoom on it and took pictures of people jumping off the rope jump. I bought one of those Ikelite F-1 underwater housings and might bring it this year...

• 2 weeks later...