Ansel Adams and Depth of Field

I understand my English is not good enough to write what I want to write here, Ansel Adams worked on the old days with large format sheet cameras mostly of 10X8inches and with the sort of fixable bellows their field cameras comes with along with its adjustable mechanism, and the aim mostly to gain the optimum sharpness out of their cameras which could be at F64 or more, worked on very well calculated exposures also and zone factor, would anyone these days gain that sort of sharpness with the DSLR cameras?

I think Ansel Adams most interesting achievement was the work on the zone factor, otherwise the DOF is just the old day’s standard achievement to all photographers with their equipment.

Thank you all

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend Joseph , I am really interested to see the sort of sharpness you did gain out of your D2X or the D3 Nikon cameras comparing it to the large format field and view cameras, please, as I have visited your page here and did see no photos at all.

Thank you my friend and wishing you all of the best

John,

That's good advice for the casual photographer, and not so much for the person who is actually trying to learn how to get

the best image they can with their camera. I'm glad when I took a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Alaska, for instance, that I knew

how to get the best results I could out of each of my lenses.

A rule should be set that Ansel Adams is not allowed to be discussed in a technical (or even aesthetic) context unless the posters have actually read his books and/or seen several of his prints. Reading and understanding his books would have rendered this posting moot, but I guess trolling is more fun... however, parts of this was entertaining.