Home-made weather sealing

hjoseph7

I honestly don't know if any of the body "armor" sold for various camera bodies helps with weather sealing, but there are underwater housings available if your need is really serious. Otherwise, the zip-lock type plastic bag is adequate for most folks. Do be sure to take the camera out at the end of the day and dry it off as best you can. Even a hairdryer set VERY low.

When people use a plastic bag to waterproof their camera on a rainy day, do you have some kind of cut out for the front

lens element? Or do you just pull it flat and accept any image degradation? Harry, this sounds like it's the way to go but if

you need something more robust, most camera bag manufacturers make expensive plastic bags to cover an SLR set-up.

Although these tend to be aimed at sports/wildlife photographers using long telephoto lenses. Think Tank Photo make a

couple.

I suppose you could apply bathroom caulking to all the seams, but it really doesn't sound like a very good idea.

If you want to get it really wet, get an underwater housing for it.

Otherwise I've found a plastic bag (yes, with a hole cut for the lens!) works fine, along with an unbrella (and an assistant to hold it if available).

You can also buy "rain hoods" for cameras and lenses (Goggle "Laird rain hood" for examples).

i've shot plenty in the rain. i'm talking downpours as well, not just the average drizzle

what i do is, i cut a hole in the corner of a ziplock bag, about 50mm in diameter (make sure it's smaller than your lens's filter size) and i put the lens into it and push the lens into that hole, the bag will stretch itself and wrap round the outside of the lens barrel so that only the len's front element is exposed.

if i'm going out on a downpour, i also clingfilm the camera (not the front elements). works like magic