Who else would like HD video on a Canon DSLR

tdigi

"thre are people who don't have tens of thousands to spend but want large sensors and interchangeable lenses"

True, but many of them want a 40x optical zoom like they can get for $300 on a real videocamera - and a 40x zoom that starts out at f1.8 too.

At best you can maybe get a slow 12x zoom on a DSLR

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The really clever thing would be to add SAT NAV. That way it would encourage me to always have the camera in the car. If it's in the car I have to remove it when I leave the car thus ensuring I have the camera with me at all times just in case I need it. No need for a P&S then.

If the D90 had come out when I was back in school, studying graphic design, I would have bought it for sure. Having the ability to capture

DOF in motion using great lenses alone is well worth purchasing. Capturing design processes in low-light studios could also be done with

the camera. While the video features on the D90 may not be perfect, it's definitely useful for many people--especially for graphic

designers, in my opinion.

Well, looks like it will be full 1080p. I know I was against it in my earlier post and still not a feature that will probably get much use from me, but now that it is a reality, I am willing to give it a bit of a chance. For those not still up, the specs are listed at:

http://www.dpreview.com

I came across the announcement on one of the modeling forums I frequent just before I was about to go to bed.

Heheheh. Give him the hand and he'll ask for he whole arm.

Almost, if not all photographers, including wedding photographers, and myself, design, create and SELL slide show

to clients.

The world has changed my friends, accept and live with it (the video mode) or just turn it off and keep shooting.

The main reason why I bought the G9 was not for its RAW capability but for its video function, now I have a Sony

HDRTG1.

I have noticed that playing a slide show, during the reception, including video sequences has boosted my

business

and having a camera capable of full HD, obviously with quality lenses... Yes, I WILL use it.

I don't shoot weddings but I am in the wedding business and I see less and less videographers I think now you will see

even less. I always thought having short clips of special moments would be better then an entire wedding video and here

we are.

I must admit I had no intentions of getting a 5DII but the HD video capability kinda got me thinking. For me its really a nice

feature for travel and family events.

I'll admit this- I WILL use this feature should I get this camera (and Im leaning that way). First off using excellent lenses with the sharpness only some video cameras dream of. Secondly it has a larger sensor then most video cameras, so its most likely going to produce a better picture in 1080P. Thirdly it uses 38 megabits of compression which is WAY higher then most video cameras, so again the picture quality will be improved. And I've seen the samples it makes and they do look very good. I could even seeing indi film school people using this camera to make movies since the quality is up there. If I got this camera, the video it produces would be enough for me to leave my HDV video camera home on trips. And you can plug mikes into this thing which means you can select a better mike then what most video cameras have. I think the video feature is a usefull one on this camera. Set it to a high iso and get excellent low light video.

I have a 9G, and took my first video clip at a sporting event, boy was I surprised how much I liked it. The quality was just ok but the addition of sound really adds an other dimension to the experience. The combination of the still photos and a few select videos is awesome. I now enjoy supplementing my still photos with the sound and motion of a few select videos.

I will be getting a 5DmkII. The FF IQ and other improvements, plus the "small size and weight" make this the ideal travel camera.

I am so glad I waited and didn't get an old 5D. The price differenece between the Old 5D and the New 5D mkII is insignificant vs the improved features. There is a regular self proclaimed sage on this forum who was pushing the combination of the 40D and old 5D. I knew Canon could do a lot better because of what Nikon was selling. That Forum sage was so wrong, and I'm so happy i didn't follow his advise.

"Still and video are totally different, and I fear having a DSLR do HD video will involve compromise in one or both functions, or price."

Based on the video clips shown on the other post for the 5DII, the video looks very good indeed. I'd say it will give a better picture then a dedicated video camera. I mean 38 mbps compression- most video cameras are at best 25 mbps. So that is a lot of extra bits to give a better picture. Plus the better lenses as well on the SLR vs video cameras. The only problem I'd see is how to edit such video in Adobe Premiere/ Premiere Elements. This could be an issue.

How a couple of days changes things, i am looking forward to shooting 1080p from the 5D mkII, I think there will be some great opportunities, I go places that every day people dont at the right time (light) and sometimes a single shot will not do justice to what you see. You cab take short videos between shoots, its just a differant form of media and I doubt it adds mutch cost to the camera.

I'd rather see the camera priced lower without the video feature. Seems the feature adds to cost and complexity to some degree. Honestly,if I wanted to shoot video I'd buy a video camera.Does it come with a microphone for sound as well? Now that I've said that it probably does, or will on the next model. Then again look how cell phones have evolved. Heaven help me, it takes me enough time to learn and use all the camera functions and their consequences to their full extent, although it does get easier with time.

Well I'm glad I picked up the "old" 5D a few moths ago for $1800 and did not wait for the new mkII. After all it was the talk of the town for 3 years and most people raved about IQ. So all of a sudden it is not? I won't miss HD video or 21mp for what I need a camera for. I'm not getting caught up in the "gotta have it" syndrome that companies prey on.

At first I thought having video was nice, but not something I would probably use. But after seeing a great sample video from Vincent Laforet, I myself am pretty excited about it. Boy how much nicer that would have been when I attended my son's graduation this year. So when I start thinking about times it would be nice to shoot video I realize that this is going to be a welcome feature to have. From what I have read and samples I have seen, it definetly DOES NOT take away from camera's ability to capture awesome stills, far from it. Anyone who hasn't seen the sample video Vincent produced you need to check it out, very impressive.

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2086