D200: How good is it on its own merits?

joshloeser

The D200 is a great camera. Now I'm not saying that because I own a D200, but I considered purchasing the new D300 after it came out. Being on a budget, I just can't go that route yet. My suggestion, if you can afford it, and if you do a lot of low light photography, yes go for the D300, otherwise, get the D200, learn it's limitations, get some good glass and you will never be dissatisfied with the results. I am. Remember, its not the camera that takes the greatest shots, its the person behind the camera.<div>00QrAJ-71057884.JPG.09edcd2c826d65e1a78e1207196320b9.JPG</div>

I would go for a used d200, take the difference in money you would spend on a d300 and put it towards a lens.

Despite the horror stories you read about on forums, buying used cameras is not that risky. All the cameras that I've

used in the last couple of years (d70, d70s, d80, 2x d200) were bought/sold used and I've never had a problem with

them.

It all depends on where you live and who had the camera. The first d200 I bought I paid $1000 for (about 14 months

ago), the guy had it for 10 months and completely babied it, it had 1000 pics on the shutter!

Second d200 I bought about 8 months ago for $700, 24k on the shutter.

I've taken tens of thousands of photos with both of them with absolutely no problems.

Check your local craigslst, where I live (So Cal.) there are tons and tons of people that love to buy new equipment

and not use it, then they sell it for half the price so they can get the "new best thing"

As far as prices, I've seen plenty of d200's around $650-750 recently depending on condition/accessories.

Josh.... My answer for you, especially considering you're on a budget, is the D200. I would probably suggest a new

D200 from B&H for $999 over a used one for $800. That said, if you are in bigger city, you can probably get one

locally from Craig*list for $600, and THAT would be a real choice. $600 for a D200, minus $250 for your D40. Ahhh.

I shoot the D300 and D40 now. I had a D200 before (and a D70 before that), so I have used both of your choices.

There is no doubt the D300 is a more advanced camera, but the D200 is still a GREAT photographic tool. You can

expect one stop better ISO performance with the D300, not two. The real shining star in my opinion is the AF

computer in the D300; that was the big change from the D200. I also enjoy shooting lots of manual focus AI and AIS

lenses, and the D300 is better for that since you can store the data for 10 lenses.

But don't get caught up in the new-upgrade-better-now talk. The D200 has a great feature set and will allow you to

shoot just about anything. In the real world, in 95% of shooting, you will not see the difference in an 11x14 print from

a D70, D40, D200, D300 or D3. Is the AF computer of the D200 a little slower than the D300? Yes. But people

have been shooting action since long before there was autofocus, and the D200 will smoke almost every AF camera

out there.

As a plus, you can always sell the D200 for just about what you paid if you find it comes up short FOR YOU in the

first couple of months. See if you can find a clean, local D200 from an individual. A properly-priced used D200 is

arguably the best all-around dSLR choice out there.

I purchased a used D200 from B&H about 18 months ago, replaced a D70. It has worked fine. I would like to

upgrade to a D300 but just can not seem to pull the trigger after collecting good glass. If I where buying today it

would probably be a D300 used. You can take advantage of others upgrading to the D700. Either is a fine camera

but for low light and sports the D300 seems the better body. After a few computer upgrades I have been very slow to

my current six year old PC as it still works fine, just a bit slow like me.

I'll pipe in for what it's worth- I have a D300 but I would have jumped on a D200 in a heartbeat if I could get either a new one for under $1K or a good used one for around $500 - 600 at the time. I wouldn't look back despite all the improvements in the D300. I'd just be telling myself to enjoy the D200 for a couple years, get some nice lenses, and then upgrade to the D300 successor when the time comes. There's a camera shop near me in Canada that is currently advertising new D200s in stock at a sale price of CA$989 which at current exchange rates would be somewhere around US$900. When I bought my D300 just a little over a month ago I couldn't find the D200 locally for under $1300- the D300 was only about $400 more.

As someone who bought his d200 when it first came out -- I have beat the heck out of it. I have fallen while looking over a waterfall and bashed the poor thing against stones while breaking my fall. It has held up like nothing I have ever purchased. Although after the waterfall drop -- the LCD back light does not work consistently. I can not wait to get my hands on a d300 but at the moment my d200 will do. For the cost difference I would buy the d200 and upgrade a lens.

I've been considering the same question (I'll be moving up from a D70s, which is great but I'd like something more

robust, plus I'm interested in looking at getting some older lenses) - though I've been toying with a D90 as well.

Having read all of these positive things, I'm definitely going to go down the D200 plus lenses route rather than the

more expensive options.

I think that there is always a view among some quarters that as soon as a new camera comes out that the previous

models are automatically obsolete, which means that there are great bargains to be had by people who are happy to

be one or two steps behind the current models.

I just need to justify the spending now!