40d pop up flash and 10-22

jon_de_la_cruz

With the Tokina 12-24 the shadow starts showing at 15mm. Both of these use 77mm filters, and are also the same length and width, so results should be similar. Focusing close will exaggerate the problem.

FYI, with the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS it doesn't cast a shadow at all unless you focus closer than 4', and then only at the widest end. Better than I would have thought.

I can use a 17-40L without a flash shadow on my 40D popup. No way with the hood as its huge. I can also use the 17-55

2.8 IS USM without lens shadow most of the time. I say most of the time as close distances at 17mm have a slight lens

shadow on the bottom. Add a few feet or zoom slightly and it goes away. I actually like the slight flash vignette as it

darkens unimportant stuff at the bottom of the frame like bellies and tablecloths.

The 10-22 isn't a good choice for popup use as the 40D popup only covers as wide as 17mm.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I use either a 420EX or a 580EX on my 40D with the 10-20. I seem to only use flash shooting indoors with that lens, and to eliminate the shadow, I aim the flash head over my shoulder and up at a 45-60-degree angle. I am shooting houses, typically not such big rooms, certainly no bigger than 15x20.