Twin Light or Ring Light for Macros

zafar1

Twin Light is stronger (78GN) and is more expensive, but Ring Light has GN of 33 which is probably enough

distance for all macros.

If cost is not an issue which is better for shooting macros at close and far range ( 1 inch to 6 feet), specially

at very close distance (6 inches or less).

Because of the versatily of the twin light positioning and its higher power, it should be better for general macro usage.

My ring light MR-14EX works well for close work but reflective surfaces can show the unwanted ( ) reflection of the

two lights in the ring. I've seldom used the ring light to illuminate anything beyond a third of a Meter (13 inches) from

the light because beyond this distance, the light has lost much of the modeling ability that side lighting gives.

I use the MT-24EX and find it allows more option than the ringlight. The flash heads are removable and have a 1/4 screw hole in the bottom. I mount one or both on those little tripods to experiment a little. I've even taken some shots handholding one of the heads from the side of the subject. Basically, the twin head is more versitile, but the lighting is not near as soft or even. IMHO

Derrick

Both are a subset of standard macro lighting technique, a form of axial lighting for ring and a form of (a)symmetrical

lighting for twin. Debating which is best is like debating between a 28mm and a 50mm lens. It all depends on what

you want to do. You will end up needing both (plus more) if you do enough macro.

The twin flash is much more flexible for photographic macro work (as opposed to medial scientific):

- more off axis so decent modelling

- light angles are adjustable

- no ring shaped highlights

- higher power

- the flash heads can be mounted off the flash bracket or held

- the twin flash has a custom function that lets you turn on the focus assist lights on with a double tap on the shutter button, this is a big boon for higher magnification work above 1X

I use mine regularly with my 100mm macro and MP-E 65mm.

I personally prefer a Twinlite over a Ringlite. Mainly I like that I can set a lot more difference between main light and fill light.

The MT24 is great. But I modified it by using a Stroboframe/Lepp dual flash bracket instead of the on-lens mount Canon provided. Much more flexible and useful, IMHO.

The only down side is that it's a pretty bulky rig to tote around. So I'm often caught without it when I want to shoot a quick macro on the spur of the moment. When that happens, I just use one of my 550EX on an off camera shoe cord. Works great... the single large flash is like a huge softbox to small subjects and you don't get heavy shadows like you might expect. The light tends to "wrap around" the subject for very nice illumination. Not quite as controllable as the MT24, and not quite as convenient since I usually end up just holding the flash in one hand, the camera in the other. But it works surprisingly well.