Wizards of technology

I don't know how many do, but I will say that I use manual actually quite a bit. Most of my lenses are vintage adapted lenses on my Canon 20D (I use them exclusively as currently my 20D needs a repair as one of the pins for AF is pushed in) so they are all manual focus (I do use the AF confirm adapters though). As for exposure, I would say about 10-20% of the time I use manual exposure. I do it with macro work alot, set the shutter speed to 1/250, pop up the flash, stop down and shoot (I have several macro setups, but the one I use most often is a combo of a Nikkor-P 105mm f2.5 with a Kiron made Vivitar macro focusing 2x teleconverter - makes for a nice macro setup).

I think that while the technology is better now on exposure, sometimes it doesn't get it right or with the results you are looking for so you switch to manual and adjust.

Dennis

When I'm just tootling about with no plan in mind, I usually try to leave the camera on P with the AF etc. lens on the camera. That way if Elvis comes walking down the street I can grab a shot without twiddling the camera.

When I settling down in a place where I know what I'm shooting, I will use different modes--manual, aperture preferred, or shutter preferred. I can honestly say I have never shot a single picture with one of the little icon-marked modes -- it's not a question of snobbery, they honestly don't seem to offer anything I cannot do more intelligently (I hope) on my own.

I'm delighted that my this-century DSLR can make pretty good sense (focusing- and metering-wise) out of a huge variety of scenes and circumstances. But I'm always pleased when I have enough control over or knowledge of a scene to shoot manually, especially with regard to exposure. We were just talking about one aspect of this in <a href="http://www.photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00QnRd"><b>another thread</b></a>.

<br><br>

I'm not feeling very backwards at all - more like I have options.

Well I hardly ever manual focus since the camera can do a way better job at that than I usually can. On the other hand I hardly ever don't manually expose the shot, since I usually know how I want the light better than the camera.

At the end of the day I have the option of choosing either and that's whats important.

There are times when manual is appropriate, and at those times, that's what I use. Taking photos with a subject under theatrical lighting comes to mind. For instance, a wide shot of a person in a spot light on a black background. Close up, your meter might be correct for the subject, but if you zoom out with more of the black background in the shot, your meter will want to open up your lens' aperture.

You can constantly make the meter hit the spot you want to be correct, or you can shoot a couple of photos, check your histogram, set the camera for manual, and shoot away.

Manual focus, auto focus, manual exposure, auto exposure, are all just different tools to get the job done. You still have to know how to use them.

Actually there is VERY LITTLE difference between auto exposure and manual exposure if you understand how they work and use them properly.

Nothing in a modern camera removes the necessity to THINK.

I shoot almost completely manual. I think it's because about a year and a half ago, when I started to get serious

about photography, I had really no understanding of aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc., and how these elements

combined to produce an image. I forced myself to shoot manual 100% of the time to gain a better feel for how

everything contributes to a photograph, and now it's just kind of habit.<br><br>

I still make lots of mistakes. Glancing at EXIF data reveals to me a lot of choices I could have made better -

usually I just forget about something while I'm distracted by a photo opportunity and realize, for instance, that

I had plenty of light, and lots of room to slow the shutter and kick down the ISO.<br><br>

I guess I could trust the camera to expose correctly but at this point it's like being a micro-manager - I don't

want to delegate.<br><br>

Disclosure: I am 25. :)<br><br>

Chris

I"m still looking for a digital back for my Yashicamat TLR. I'm tired of people looking at me like I'm a dinosaur when they realize my TLR doesn't have instant playback. They do like the giant LCD I use to frame the picture because it's so clear. They just get confused because they run to look into the viewfinder after I take the shot so they can see the picture I took, but are sad to see that the camera has already moved on to the next shot.