Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 in stock

andy_coach

@ Rose regarding Sigma4less.com. I ordered three lenses from them about two years ago for my EOS. I also returned and exchanged my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 with them paying the difference for a Sigma 50-150 f/2.8. All three lenses were new in perfect packaging. The exchange took a long phone call but happened fine. It was an OK buying experience. I'm a big fan of Buydig / Beach Camera these days. If Sigma4less had something significantly less or that I could not get at Beach / Adorama / B&H / Amazon I'd buy from them again. One word of advice watch your shipping charges. They quote slow-boat to China shipping fees (like two week transit times). If I remember right upgrading to standard 4 to 5 UPS was something like $30 for one lens which I thought should have been more like about $12.

/Roger

Yes, the ground shipping on the one lens was quoted pretty steep - about 16$ - but it would still be cheaper than B&H. However, I was reading online from another site for recommendations, and discovered that the warentees from Sig4Less could be reduced because they market many grey market lenses.

I'm hesitant to buy grey market so this may be reason to spend the extra $50 + to go with a more reputable company.

I little bit of confusion with my B&H order... While my order confirmation email shows

<br><br>

Sigma SI7020028PSA 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM AF Lens for Pentax

<br><br>

the order tracking web page shows

<br><br>

Sigma 70-200m f/2.8 DG MCRO HSM-II f/PEN/SAM - SI7020028PSA

<br><br>

Basically, they omitted the “EXE” and "APO" from the part name, not a huge deal but still, I decided to call

their Sales department to confirm I was getting the lens I ordered. The sales person I spoke to explained to me

they only had the older version of the lens in stock, i.e. the non-EXE one, while the EXE version was on order.

That got me really confused... So I called their Customer Support who told me their Sales people had no clue and

assured me I was getting the correct lens.

<br><br>

I haven't been this excited about a package in a long time :))

@ Rose - Sigma4less.com - Yes they do sell grey market lenses. The Canon ESF 10-22 UWA I bought from them was grey market; it was identified as import in their description and I knew that going in. I saved about $150 at the time by going grey market on that lens. (you know that lens is the only thing I miss from old Cannon system) The Sigma lenses I bought were not grey market and they stated US warranty. Read the fine print or call if you're concerned about grey market. For what it's worth I think you'll love the 70-300 APO: for the money it's awfully hard to beat it's IQ

Andy, I'm looking forward to seeing some photos from your new 70-200 f/2.8. Some times I need a little more reach at indoor events than my DA* 50-135 offers, so this is a tempting lens.

/Roger

Andy, The sales Dept really doesn't know much for sure. The last 2 generations of this lens were EX (about 6 years ago) then followed by EX DG (up till about 2 years ago) . So there's not much chance they had anything new in a box older than these 2. In fact I don;t know if there even was a non EX f2.8 version of this lens produced.

@ Rose - Sigma Warranty's - If I remember right every Sigma lens has a one year warranty if purchased new; no matter where it's purchased from. Then on their high end EX line those have an additional 3 year Sigma USA warranty on a US lens (4 years total). The 70-300 APO is not an EX lens and the one I bought from Amazon about seven months ago came with a one year warranty.

Warranty is one area where the Tamron wins. Though I have no service experience with Tamron I have used Sigmas service on a broken flash and it was top notch.

/Roger

If that's the case, then it sounds like I should order from Sig4less. I've never bought a sigma before - and was skeptical about the 1 year warranty - whether that would be 'good enough'. But if that warrantee holds true 'at all the other shops' - then, I guess it's resolved my worry that the store wasn't legit enough.

When I bought my Sigma (70-200 EXII HSM Nikon Mount) I spoke to Sigma USA and they stated that Sigma4less is gray market and they are not sure of the source for their lenses. That is why they only have the one year international warranty. All US EX lenses get an additional 4 year warranty with purchase form an authorized US distributor. If you have any questions I would call Sigma USA they are very helpfull.

Dave

I bet this is just user error but what am I doing wrong? The K10D is set to AF-S, the manual switch on the Sigma

is set to AF and all I can get is MF. I've re-set all settings on the K10D to default and still MF only. The lens

manual does not address Pentax specifically... I have cleaned the contacts on the K10D and on the Sigma. Is the

lens defective? The K10D autofocuses just fine with other AF lenses. My K20D is at Pentax for adjustments so have

no other body to check the AF function on, unfortunately.

Andy. mine (and older non macro version) has an AF clutch. The front ring on the barrel (focus ring) will pull back and forth to engage and disengage the internal af lock. I don't know if the new model has this feature and because it's SDM I suspect not.

The other thing is have you updated your firmware on the camera? You need 1.3 to have SDM functional.

I forgot I still had the Super, just tested the Sigma lens on it, AF works OK. So it must be the K10D. I'd hate to think there is something really wrong with that camera. Other than trying to clean the contacts again, I wonder is there any other test I can do to rule out software/settings issues? I was hoping to shoot a HS footbal game that's starting in 30 min, I guess the Super will have to do ..

You've probably left but did you upgrade the firmware on the K10D? To check, just turn the camera on while holding the menu button down first. The screen will show which version the camera has. If it's not version 1.30, then the lens will not focus. The K100D Super was programmed with this firmware right out of the factory basically because that was one of the main reasons for even releasing that model.

Peter, thanks a bunch for the link, old firmware was the problem. Wow, what a relief, I won't have to send another piece of gear to be serviced :)

<br><br>

I am missing the football game but at least will be ready for my kid's soccer match tomorrow morning. Thank you again!