ADATA 16GB CF CARD ON D300

david_achille

I have a couple of 16GB CompactFlash cards now (one is a SanDisk Extreme III Type II CF which is over a year old

and the other is a pre-release sample of the new Lexar 16GB 300X UDMA CompactFlash card ( <A HREF =

http://www.ppmag.com/web-exclusives/2008/09/review-lexar-16gb-300x-udma-co-1.html> review</a>). I use them with

no problems in a Nikon D3 , but in general I would also advise you to use smaller capacity cards. <P>A UDMA type

CF card will write the data from the camera's buffer to the CompactFlash card faster IF your camera (and a D300

falls into this category) can use UDMA cards. If you go with a UDMA card, as I report in the review, you will

also need a UDMA capable reader. In the <A HREF =

http://www.ppmag.com/web-exclusives/2008/09/review-lexar-16gb-300x-udma-co-1.html> review</a> of the Lexar 16GB

UDMA CF card, I included a table of the

different capacities using uncompressed NEF, lossless compressed NEF, compressed NEF, TIFF, and the various JPEG

resolutions and compression levels for that card in a D3 so you'll have a pretty good idea about just how many

eggs you'll be putting in that single basket.

Try to remember, the deal of $65 is on the cheap side for a 16 Gb card. If the card does fail, you got what you paid for.

SanDisk or Lexar or Toshiba [if a 16 Gb CF card is made by Toshiba?] would be a better choice if you value your work in taking images.

David, I know nothing about ADATA cards but if you are shooting action at 6-8 fps, a 16Gb card could certainly be helpful. My largest is an 8Gb Extreme IV. It can easily fill up in less than two minutes shooting RAW. For that reason alone, a larger card is worth it. Well, it's worth it as long as it's a good card. As I said, I know nothing about ADATA.

"As is often the recommendation from folks here. One BIG card is putting all your eggs in one basket."

He forgot the part "as has often been the recommendation, and frequently refuted".

The primary mechanisms of failure are clogging of the holes on the card leading to physical damage to the pins in the camera's card slot, and electrostatic damage to either the card or the camera.

Change cards less often, you lose less data, and are less likely to disable a camera at a mission critical time. Use big enough cards so that you're only changing them in safe areas instead of in the field, and your odds of losing data drop dramatically.

"You don't have to use a UDMA-capable card reader for UDMA-capable card, but it'll upload faster on one. Lexar makes a USB-based UDMA reader for like $20 or so. It takes CF and SD."

Have you tried it?

I have and it didn't work.

However Lexar now thinks it is a possible problem with the pre-production sample I was testing.