D300, D200?

alana_soeh

Alana,

If you have the chance to get the D300 instead the D200, I'd encourage you to get the D300. You will have a better camera by 2010, of course new models will be on the market by that time and that reason also supports the D300 selection vs. the D200 which will be older in the market. Obsolescense also hits cameras.

Consider also to get extra money by doing some photographic works, in that way, your customer become your friends since they contribute to pay your photo-toys.

I'd recommend buying a lense like the 50mm F1.4 which is excellent for protraits, it also will give you the chance to try excellent night shots, of course you will need a new tripod but believe me, your future customers will pay for it.

Since you are deciding to get into photography profession, you will need to spend more time in your own photographic education, practice get more sense when there is feedback and theory along with it.

"save ur money body wise until you can get a d700 or a d3...all else pales in comparision!"

I see. So do we just sit on our asses and do nothing.

Maybe you could enlighten us and SHOW how your D700/D3 would make the image below "pale in comparison"?<div>00QmzF-70185984.jpg.793fadb0814778404bf9569a908788d0.jpg</div>

As a D200 user, I am not impressed with the D300. The image quality is not substantially better from what i have seen.

As for the D40, I would much rather have a body such as the D200 with more analog type controls on the body. The more

consumer level gear often requires more use of the menus.

Sorry for straying from the topic, but had to comment on Andy's post and photo: awesome!

The macro shot is lifelike. My vote is for the D300 (don't own one, would like to get one; friend's D300

photos are crisper and have more punch when taken with the same lenses compared to his D200).

Alana,

I'm a senior in Photography. . .I've used everything from the D70 up to the D300. I would strongly recommend choosing your camera based on what type of photography you're planning on doing. If you can't make up your mind, just get the D300, as it's the best all-round camera for under $2,000. I currently shoot with the D300 and it's an excellent camera--well worth the investment. . .of course in 2-3 years I'll be getting a newer model.

Weddings: D700 all the way. It's the cheapest full-frame (Nikon) camera you can buy.

Photojournalism / Sports: D300. It's got an incredible frame-rate so you don't miss a shot. The high ISO settings for low-light are incredible, and the body is more rugged than the D70, D80, and D200.

Commercial photography: D700. The quality of a full-frame camera.

Weekend projects / Hobby photography: D200. Save yourself a little money, get the D200, and save your money for the lenses, where the real investment is. While working as an assistant wedding photographer this summer, I fell in love with the D200.

"As a D200 user, I am not impressed with the D300. The image quality is not substantially better from what i have seen."

This is because the main difference lies with the photographer, not the camera. In the hands of a skilled person, shots taken from a D40 can look just as nice as ones from a D3. The better/newer cameras have capabilities to capture images under a huge variety of challenging circumstances, but under a wide variety of conditions, the final result lies with the person behind the lens, not the camera itself.

I have pointed out several times that whether there is a big difference between the D200 and D300 highly depends on your subject matter. I have both of them and the D300's primary advantages are its superior AF, 8 frames/sec rate w/ the MB-D10 and its low-light capabilities. The D300 can also give you better JPEG straight out of the camera, but personally I don't shoot JPEG.

If you shoot sports, action, or indoor existing light stuffs (e.g. no-flash indoor wedding), you can see a huge difference between the two cameras. If you mainly shoot still subjects, outdoor non-action stuffs, there could be very little difference. I think Alana is more like the latter group.

Hello,

few days ago I sold my D200 body and bought D300. There is a huge difference in picture quality (sharpness, colors, contrast, detail, noise). I've never liked my D200 very much. The body is very good, but the photos were very unsharp even when I used quality lenses. But I suspect I've got a very bad sample of used D200 body (sold as new) in Discountcamera shop in San Francisco. Now I can enjoy the quality of my 85 f/1.8, 17-55 f/2.8, 12-24 f/4, 80-200 f/2.8 and other lenses.

Regards,

Benjamin

• 4 months later...

<p>I first purchased the D90 and then a D200. The D90 is an excellent camera, no doubt. However, for me I wanted the versatility of being able to use my collection of manual focus AI-S lenses. The D90 doesn't meter with the manual focus Nikkors, the D200 does. Secondly, I don't believe there is that much difference in quality between the two under typical conditions. The D90 gets good marks in low light photography at high ISO ratings, but this isn't that important to me as most of my subjects are still lifes or posed (under studio lights, flash, or camera on a tripod). I debated, thought, and gut wrenched over the decision to purchase the D200 or the D300. Ultimately, I decided to go with the 10 megapixel D200. I am really waiting for the cost of the FX sensor Nikons to drop below $1,500. At that price I can easier justify the large expenditure for a full frame sensor. Unitl then, I will happily use the D200, enjoy the flexibility of being able to use some really sweet manual AI-S glass, and enjoy the thought of getting a really great professional quality Nikon digital for abpit 50% of the price of a new D300. I am going to use the money saved buying the D200 (in lieu of the D300) to purchase a new 50mm manual Zeiss Sonnar ZF T. My two...</p>