Search tool

sknowles

<p>I was wonder if the search on the navigation bar (far right) could include a search within just forums. Sometimes you want to search the forums for a word or something and don't want photos or the rest of PN, just forums. Since the search does scan forums and posts, why not just add a tool for just that? Now, or what I can find, you have to search through them for possible subjects or topics. Just a thought.</p>

<p>Check Google's instructions for using the "inurl" and "allinurl" operators. I haven't tried it myself, but it might be possible to use this search within more than one specified forum.</p>

<p>The existing forum-specific search basically appends something like "inurl:/site-help-forum" if for example you wish to confine your search to only the site help forum. I'm not sure whether it's possible to use this operator to search more than one forum, tho'.</p>

<p>See: <a href="http://www.google.com/help/operators.html">http://www.google.com/help/operators.html</a></p>

<p>Speaking of the search feature, I would prefer that "All of Photo.net" be the default setting. It always defaults to "Adorama store", even after setting it manually and performing a search. I have to manually choose "All of Photo.net" each and every time.<br>

Well, it's not so much of a problem, just a minor annoyance. I can live with it, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Speaking of the search feature, I would prefer that "All of Photo.net" be the default setting. It always defaults to "Adorama store"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is a part of the initial stage of Adorama's sponsorship of the site. it won't be that way forever.</p>

<p>:-)<br /> Yes, you may quote me. :-)<br /> Now, seriously, it's obvious that running a website like this takes a lot of effort and money, and I'm sure that $25 a year received from subscribers on a good-will basis, while helpful, is far from being enough. I mentioned that setting just in case it was a minor glitch that could be be easily fixed. But if it's a sponsorship agreement I'll live with it as long as it takes, considering that it's nothing more than a small annoyance.</p>

<p>I'm not sure whether it's positive attitude, or simply egoism. I have still a lot to learn from Photo.net, so I have a personal interest in its welfare. ;-)</p>

<p>I understand about running a Website like this one, I helped run one water resources data for one state (US) which averages 1.5+ million hits a month. One of the best tools of a Website manager is a small soft hammer, to metaphorically hit people on the forehead when they're not thinking, like myself, eg. this thread looking for a search tool. As long as everyone smiles and knows the dents don't really hurt, everything is cool.</p>