Impromptu flash diffuser

elyone

I was shooting my newborn and wanted to diffuse the flash. I was using the on-flash camera of my D40 and did not

want to take the time to get my larger flash and diffuser. (I would have missed the shot for sure)

So, I grabbed a handy opaque white plastic disposable cup that was lying around, and held it over he flash.

Worked wonderfully!

(see: http://www.photo.net/photo/7815377)

What similar things have you used?<div>00QmQT-70081584.jpg.23155808b57b0ea658e1486f40087e5f.jpg</div>

Yup. I've been known to grab a white paper napkin, tissue paper, and a white lid off of a coffee cup. It can help to bump up the flash compensation a stop or so if you're using something a little more opaque, the net results are pretty much always better than the Laser Beam Of Doom effect you'll get if the strobe is providing most of the scene's light, and doing so directly. Shoot in RAW though, since you'd be surprised at how much a seemingly white ad hoc diffuser can actually impact color temperature.

For years I've toted sheets of white translucent plastic and tape in my bags for makeshift diffusers. The stuff is sold in arts and crafts stores for making stained glass templates. Very thin, flexible and durable and stores flat. I've cut it into various shapes and sizes. Blue masking tape works well and leaves no residue.

A white styrofoam coffee cup over a lens can be used for reasonably accurate impromptu incident light metering too.