D80 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 AF-D?

luisarguelles

Hi, since it seems that D80 bodies are at bargain prices these days, I'm planning to buy this camera. I don't like zoom lenses, so I'll use a

Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 AF-D, a 35mm f/2 AF-D and the Nikkor 45mm f/2.8 AI-P on it. However I don't know the resulting quality of the 20mm

attached to the D80 body. Any experiences or ideas? (I just love the resulting, 30mm equivalent focal length)

I would like to know this as well as I am in the process of buying this lens for my D300. I do like the 30mm

focal and plan to use it as my general walk around lens. I hope the performance is similar to the 35mm f/2 which

I also have.

My reads indicate the older wide lenses worked well on film, not so well on digi which is more demanding.

I ended up with the 12/24 Nikkor. Modern zooms work as well as older primes in general.

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests

These tests are the same as my experience.

The third party lens work, but not as well as the Nikkor. My only complaint with the Nikkor is its size.

Uhmm, a bit more research reveils that there are mixed feelings about it: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00EtSD

</p>

Anyway, maybe it's a case of variation between samples. Maybe the AF-D version works better than the AF alone,

although theoretically it's the same optical formulation. In any case weight and size is very important for me.

Here's a photo I took with the 20mm f/2.8D while shopping for a vehicle. Sorry, don't have any artsy or serious

photos to post.

I don't really use my 20mm lens on digital much, but the images look fine. For some reason, the 20mm f/2.8D

doesn't have a good digital reputation but now that it's come up again, I've never seen anyone post any photos

demonstrating why they think it's no good.

The number of people using the 20mm f/2.8D with satisfactory results is growing. I'd say go for it.<div>00QkUy-69455684.jpg.a2df34942871bffd7811b6747c64d50a.jpg</div>