Looking for the "perfect" walkaround lens

fridrik_skulason

as a value for money crop lens the Sigma 17-70 / 2.8-4.5. That was the only lens I had with me during my recent

vacation on Cuba. It covered I guess 90% of what I wanted and needed, and I have no problem to maybe have lost

10% since it saved me carrying two more (and heavy) lenses with me. You might have a look at the Cuba section of

my portfolio. With one exception, all of the shots are taken with the Sigma 17-70. I believe that your 40D is not

very much more demanding than my 30D, so the results should be similar.

Regards

Stephan

Just look for a good used Sony DSC R1. The 24-120 Zeiss lens is better than almost any lens and the swivel LCD is perfect for high shots, low shots and any unobtrusive people shots. It was short lived when it came out, but I bought one used and it's my favourite go anywhere camera.

Regards

Bill

I find the combination of 10-22 and 24-105 works very well for me as a lightweight and compact solution with a wide focal length range.

Sure, when you go full frame (I doubt I ever will) you'll need another lens at the long end, but that's the price you pay! You simply can't get it all in a single lens (yet!)

In general the greater the zoom range in a lens the lower the optical quality. So if you are not happy with the 17-85mm I doubt you will be happy with a 28-200mm lens. I have a full frame camera and I find the 24-105mm is a fairly useful walk aroun lens although I am not too happy with the image quality at 24mm. If I want a little more range I use the 17-40mm with my 70-200 F4 IS in a bag attached to my belt. The gap between 40 and 70mm is not great enough to bother me and the optical quality is very good.