Favorite photojournalists?

Robert Capa and Henri Cartier-Bresson are both particularly well-known and brilliant photojournalists. Capa was primarily a war photographer - his work from the Spanish Civil War, the Second World War (he landed on Omaha Beach with the first US soldiers on D-Day, and worked extensively in Northern Africa), and from Indochina (where he was killed by a landmine) is nothing short of incredible. Cartier-Bresson's work is also incredible - his understanding of people and ability to capture the essence of a moment or situation made for amazing photographs.

Robert Frank and Dorothea Lange also created incredible and inspiring work - Lange's photos from the Depression are especially well-known, and are pretty amazing. Margaret Bourke-White would also be worth taking a look at - she was (in my opinion) one of the greatest photojournalists ever.

As for currently-living and working photojournalists, James Nachtwey is, I think, one of the 'best'. Like Cartier-Bresson, he is able to convey very powerful emotions in his photos, but at the same time manages to make beautiful pictures out of often horrible subject matter. Zoriah is another photographer I would recommend you look up - his recent work from Iraq is incredible.

Hope that's somewhat helpful and that there's maybe some stuff there that you haven't already seen.

Also - your portfolio is terrific. I particularly loved the tones of the photos in the series on barns - very moody. Great work - definitely keep at it. Good luck.

Natalie,

I would concur on James Nachtwey. The Swiss Christian Frei has made an impressive documentary about him and his way of working in 2001, quite literally looking over his shoulder. It's published by IDFA.

Also very impressive is the work of Don McCullin. You should not look only look at his work but read his autobiography as well, it gives a lot of insight.

<i>as this is something I would like to pursue</i>

<p>Well, I hope you have a trust fund, a rich significant other, or no plans to ever have children or retire. :)

My favorites:</p>

<p>Alex Webb

<br>Robert Frank

<br>Eugene Richards

<br>Luc Delahaye

<p>More "artistic documentary" or "street" photographers than photojournalists but I still enjoy their work:</p>

<p>William Eggleston

<br>Gueorgui Pinhkassov

<br>Jeff Mermelstein

<br>Saul Leiter

Check out the book, "Requiem" by Horst Fass and Tim Page. They're both first rate photojournalist.

Michael, I've been shot at more then once, and I met Joe Galloway in Vietnam in early '66. I wasn't impressed. He did, however, go through the Ia Drang Valley which is to his credit.

As for currently living photographers:

James Nachtwey - war

David Alan Harvey - cultures

Alex Webb - his Istanbul work is fantastic

Rebecca Webb- her zoo project!

Maggie Steber - everything

Jonas Bendisen - http://www.jonasbendiksen.com/

Those are often regarded as "documentary" but photojournalism is what it is. Plus they are all amazing people... all

working for the betterment of society.Good luck on the exploration, it is a wonderful field but incredibly competitive.

Matt Blalock

<i>Alex Webb - his Istanbul work is fantastic</i>

<p>I agree and I have Istanbul along with all his other books. In my opinion, however much it's worth, his best

work is his first book <a

href="http://www.magnumphotos.com/Archive/C.aspx?VP=Mod_ViewBoxInsertion.ViewBoxInsertion_VPage&R=2K7O3RBIHVQD&RP=Mod_ViewBox.ViewBoxThumb_VPage&CT=Album&SP=Album"

target="_blank">Hot Light/Half Made Worlds</a>, which is sadly long out of print and very, very expensive if you

can find a copy in decent shape. And no, my copy is not for sale. :)</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
<p>I am reading Stephen Ambrose's book D-Day. Robert Capa is mentioned with respect and awe. This famous shot just goes to prove that its not the camera, film, focus, sharpness...not any of that. Its the story and impact of the image...and thats all. Sort of puts our feet on the ground doesn't it?</p>