CS3 patch tool stopped working

Intel Mac Tiger. It was working earlier today and now it stopped.

I define the "bad" area. Move the patch to the good and the good pixels illuminate inside the "bad' selection. When I release the mouse,

the good pixels do not transfer.

Source is selected. I have tried working in reverse using destination. No better. I even tried a single layer pic straight from the camera.

What/where do I reset or what is wrong.

I closed and reopened several times. Tried working on a background layer and a copy layer and renamed background layer

to layer zero. Transparent is not selected. No layer masks are in use.

Somes times a patch will move and but be transparent although transparent is not selected, usually it just will not replace

although the new pixels are there before I release the mouse.

I am trying to use the patch tool to fix the background in lower right. Pixels will not transfer, I then took out two buttons

on the neckline with two operations and it worked, then I tried the background again and it failed.

Is this possible a cache problem or memory issue? If so , how do I fix?<div>00Qf0f-67599584.jpg.44ed9ab16ba896e53f4130b99bb893f0.jpg</div>

I found many references to my exact problem on various forums, and there we no solutions presented.

This prompted a call to Adobe and a tech rep. He said my tool was working properly. According to the experiment we did, the procedure was worthless for any photo process. Now it is time to experiment on my own.

My conclusion is the patch tool has considerable transparency built in whether or not the transparency box is checked. It does not have the power to cover tan over black. In fact I can not cover medium shades unless I do the patch, then run a levels on the selection to punch it up.

You would think the Adobe tech rep could have explained this transparency rather than trying to tell me I was using the tool improperly and that it was the wrong tool for the job.

I finished the picture with the clone tool and the airbrush tool and got a near perfect job.

Hope this helps somone in the future.