Photoshop Elements 6 Prints Off

I installed PSE 6 a couple of months ago on my Mac. Since then I've made a few prints, letting PSE 6 manage the

color. The prints have not matched previous prints from the same printer (Epson 1400). They seem to be darker and

more contrasty. I've checked all my settings, using the Epson paper profile, etc.

Today I came across this post:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b641f3

Adobe seems to be admitting there is a software problem with PSE 6, with double color managing taking place. They

suggest using the printer for color management. I'm ready to give that a try, even though it's contrary to most

recommendations. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

On the odd occasion that I print from photoshop, most printing is done from NX2 now, I always let the printer manage colours. I know this goes against what most people will tell you to do but, so far, ive never had a problem with colours or the usual "dark prints" with my R2400. Not only that I really cant be bothered mesing about changing from one icc profile to the next. All I can say is give it a try and see what happens, you may be pleasenty surprised.

Keith, thanks for the advise. I'm shooting raw with a Canon, jpgs with Olympus and scanning slides. So I'd really like one program work well for printing all images.

I reread the post on Adobe, and apparently the problem may only have to do with preview, not the actual prints. I tried letting the printer driver color manage and the print is a bit on the light side. I lowered the brightness in PSE, but the print didn't change. Maybe I'll try printing from iphoto.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the same problems and gone back to PSE4 note the replies from Adobe below. I sent them printed

images from the two versions showing the problem and also gave them a cd with the photoshop images so they could

print them on their own printers. the results were the same but on a CANON printer. It is not an issue with preview it

may be because of preview and you cannot bypass it.

Finally a couple of replies from Adobe re colour problems and they have accepted that they are double managing the

image and that I should use printer management to do the colour conversion.. here are their two replies and the comment

that they will now drop me until???????

Answer #1

Your Customer Service Number is: 129800224

Thank you for contacting Adobe Technical Support.

After consulting with my colleagues about the issue you raised, I can let you know the following:

The issue is both on our as well as the driver software side and the workaround we have given is the best available at

this time. This issue is affecting all printers, not just Epson or Canon.

The soft proofing effect that you are seeing in the print preview is indeed an attempt at soft proofing. However since

Photoshop Elements managed prints are incorrectly double colour managed it is not as useful as it was initially

designed.

As to the exact details of why this occurred, we have no official information.

We believe that this will resolve the issues you are experiencing, however, should the reply not help solve the problem,

please contact us again, quoting the case number given above, and we will re-open the case.

Answer # 2

Subject: Re: Adobe TS #180107025 / Mario / PSE6 oversaturated Print (KMM3793441I51L0KM)

Dear Mr. Laugesen,

We have had word back from our engineers regarding your issue.

The Photoshop Elements team are aware of the problem and are working with Apple and the printer manufacturers to get

this to work correctly. In the meantime, the only workaround is to switch off colour management in Photoshop Elements

and let the printer handle the colour management.

Unfortunately we can not make an estimation as to when a fix will be provided. We will close the case for the time being

as there really is nothing more we can do about this issue besides offering the suggested workaround. Closing this case

does not mean that the research will stop however and the engineers are working on a solution to this.

• 1 month later...

Elo,

I wish I had seen this post before I purchased PSE 6 MAC last week (I am new to PS). I have observed the same

darkening issue in the preview window with PSE 6 managing colors and an external printer profile (Noritsu 3411

Costco profile from Dry Creek Photo). However, since I will be sending my prints to Costco and they will have their

printer manage the colors (presumably they do not print from PSE 6), the double color management should not

happen.

Is this assumption correct or do I need to set something else in PSE?

Right now I edit in Adobe RGB and just save as a JPEG before sending to Costco.

Of course the downside with my workflow is that I never get to see on my monitor what the final print will look like,

however as I understand it, the print preview is not a true soft proof anyway. Can someone tell me if this is true?

With PSE 4, does the monitor view match exactly the final print?

Anthony

I now use PSE4 for all of my printing as it is the only way to guarantee the colours are correct when printing. As for

PSE6 I have brought in the same image into it edited and then saved it as a PSD, and printed in PSE4. colours on prints

are fine.. Therefore the error is only seen on the printed output when you let PSE6 manage the colour conversion.

Letting printer manage colours is difficult as you must first figure out how to use the ICC profiles for papers other than

epson..

the printing problem also existed in photoshop 10.0 and they released a fix 10.0.1 guess MAC PSE is not important to

them.

by the way lightroom is ok I have checked it out there.

Thanks Elo,

I should be OK then. The ICC profiles from Dry Creek Photo are written for each Costco print location and account for the printer type, inks and paper (so I'm told, see link).

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/Profiles/California_profiles.htm#CA

My only issue is I won't know until I try as I have no way to soft proof.

Question on PSE 4. I understand it does not support soft proofing like CS3. Therefore, how do you know that what you see on your monitor will match what you will get on your printer. Is this from experience or is the print preview in PSE 4 "close enough".

Anthony

• 1 year later...

<p>I have also noticed this problem in PSE 6. It definitely double manages the colour and I have to turn of all colour management in PSE 6 and use the printer to manage colour. It seems to not pick up the profile when a file is opened (at least the colour management menus indicate there is no profile) and then if you apply a profile it doesn't change its appearance on screen but the profile is then doubled up to print.<br>

Pity Adobe have such a major bug in an expensive program.<br>

Does anyone know if they have fixed this? Or are we just expected to buy Adobe's next version wasting more money?</p>