Canon EFS 18-200 3.5-5.6 IS - Official

jeff_higdon

>>>>"With the new face detection, Live View and CA modes on the 50D, you've just invented the world's largest, heaviest and least convenient P&S camera!"<<<<

It gets worse: The Nikon D90 can shoot movies, which means the next generation of Canon bodies will as well...

"$700 is the same price as the Nikkor 18-200 VR. The Nikkor does have silent-wave AF."

Nikon seems to put silent-wave AF into more of their lenses than Canon does. I noticed their 70-300 VR also has silent-wave AF, whereas Canon uses micro-USM. Shame for Canon given that Nikon is stealing the lead in technology Canon invented.

One of the main attractions of SLRs over other cameras is that you see, focus, compose through the lens - optically. You don't have to have more than one lens to appreciate this.

That said, I don't think you fully experience it until you have a fast high quality lens in front of a good, big viewfinder.

I think this lens has a market, and I appreciate the concept of an all-in-one zoom now that we have a small child to juggle as well, but it's not for me. (I'm really hanging out for a lighter, hopefully higher quality EF-S zoom lens starting at 15mm (24mm in 35mm terms). The lack of USM on the 18-200 puts me off too - it's dismissive on Canon's part.)

Nikon introduced its 18-200mm DX zoom back in late 2005 for $750. For almost a full year, there was major shortage

for that lens and people paid as much as $1000 for it. Supply finally caught up in 2007 and the price dropped to the

current $670 or so. A Nikon rep told me that the 18-200 is Nikon's best selling lens ever. While I am not sure that is

100% accurate, I would not underestimate how popular the 18-200 lens is. It is the ultimate consumer travel lens and

is very popular among those who buy DSLRs around $1000.

For Rebel and xxD owners looking for a one lens solution or not happy with their third party lenses or their Canon 17-

85, 28-135IS, 28-105 or new or old kit lens solutions (18-55, 18-55IS along with the 55-250), very favorable reviews

(should they turn out that way) on the EFS 18-200 IS may prompt them to consider it. But if the street price still falls

in the $650 range, that's a high price to pay for the convenience knowing that you can purchase the new kit lens (18-

55IS) plus an excellent 70-200 f/4 (nonIS) for a street price of $750 total.

>>>>But if the street price still falls in the $650 range, that's a high price to pay for the convenience knowing that you can purchase the new kit lens (18- 55IS) plus an excellent 70-200 f/4 (nonIS) for a street price of $750 total.<<<<

Or a Tamron 17-50 plus the 55-250IS for around $650.

Even if the performance is darn close to the 18-55 + 55-250IS set I just don't see the justification for paying a $300 convenience premium.

• 4 weeks later...

I reckon the 50D + 18 - 200 package will sell like hot-cakes, just because there is a whole heap of cashed up people out

there who want the latest DSLR and monster (overpriced) zoom combination.

The range 18 - 200 is certainly convenient, but for my money, I would prefer to travel with a G9 or 50D + 35 f/2 and the

compact Tamron 18 - 250.