Mamiya RZ with Digital Back

lobalobo

Anyone willing to post photos, or know of links to photos, landscape photos in particular, taken with a Mamiya RZ

camera and a digital back? I ask, despite the limitations of viewing images on a computer screen, because I'm

growing tired of shooting 4x5 film--too much time in setup, too little shooting, too slow shutter speeds for

sharpness edge to edge--and I'm considering buying an RZ Pro IID then shooting film until I decide I can afford a

digital back (presumably a refurbished current model when new models come out). I understand the drawbacks in

cropping and, more importantly to me, in the lack of sharpness when 6x7 film lenses are used for digital. But I'm

an amateur, and I don't want to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. If the results from digital on the RZ

are as good as I hope, I won't be bothered by the possibility of still sharper results if I could spend $30,000

on a Hasselblad; but if I'll end up with no better images than I can get with a 35mm DSLR at the same price, then

I'll look for another alternative. (And yes I know that the Mamiya 645 is a potentially better, affordable,

digital solution, but I'm attracted to the view-camera-like setup of the RZ.) Thanks in advance.

If you ultimately want a medium format digital back, then an RZ 6x7cm format body is not for you. get a 6x6 or 6x4.5 body instead. The HAsselblad 500 c/m is still the best most versatile platform for these backs as long as you don't want autofocus and auto exposure features. I nterms of actually shooting therte is no functional difference between the RZ and the Hasselblad 500 bodies (yes of course a 6x7 foramt negative is larger than a 6x6 format negative -- but I am writing about how the bodicamera bodies function: focus, interchangable backs, in lens shutter design, and single lens reflex viewing path.

if you really think you want an RZ then just get an adapter plate to use a medium format digital back on your 4x5 body. You may however find that you will need t ouse lenses designed for digital capture which have greater resolution than lenses designed for large format film (or digital) formats.

The digital Mamiya back was reviewed last year on http://www.luminous-landscape.com. They felt that the sensor was limited by the lens quality, but otherwise reasonably serviceable.

If you crop the image to an 8x10, you get nearly the full 22MP from a 37x49mm digital back, whereas a 16MP, 37x37mm back for a 6x6 camera is reduced to about 13MP. It's not practical to use a 3:4 back on an Hasselblad "V" camera, which can't be easily rotated. However the rectangular sensor is ideal for a 645 or 6x7 camera. You could look for a used Hasselblad H2D, which handles exactly like the Mamiya 645 but can use both "H" and "V" Hasselblad lenses.

Thanks to both Ellis and Edward. Leaves me unsure what to do, as neither the RZ nor Hasselblad V seems ideal for the reasons given. The H2 is a good choice, one I've considered before, but the price of Hasselblad lenses (and tilt/shift adapter) are I'm afraid forever out of my reach. (Also, I worry about spending more than $3,000, even used, for a discontinued camera. Should I be?) This is why I hoped to look at some RZ digital images, because although I of course respect Ellis' expert opinion, and although I don't doubt what he says about problems with the RZ for digital, for the reasons that Edward gives, I'm still attracted to the RZ over the Hasselblad V (even if the lens expense were not an issue for any Hasselblad lenses).

Between the price of the backs, even used, and the widest lens being roughly equivalent to a 35mm lens on 35mm, landscape photography with a digital back on an RZ is rather problematic.

The most cost-effective alternative to 4x5 in digital is digital mosaics. While there are limitations relative to taking the final image in a single exposure, there are some advantages as well, for example adjusting the focus on a per-row (or even per image) basis to achieve extreme DOF.

http://clarkvision.com/photoinfo/large_mosaics/index.html