Nikon D-80 to D-60: One Way Photo

Greetings,

I was here a short time ago getting information on a Digital SLR camera for my wife. I received a lot of good

information, and ordered a D-80 so we could still use my old Nikon AFD lenses. That's when the fun began. I ordered

the camera from One Way Photo on the internet, and a few hours after I ordered the camera I received a phone call.

The salesman on the other end was very pushy, and insisted that I buy additional items to go with the camera. After

all, I was getting the body at a great price, so I shouldn't mind paying a little extra for an SD card, right?

Not so fast! The prices were way out of line with anything I've ever seen. For example, would you pay $199.00 for a

4GB SD card from a third party manufacturer? I told him I had a 4GB SD card already, and it was a SanDisk. How

about $199.00 for a Nikon battery? The guy continued to insist that I buy lenses or a flash or something else extra,

at an inflated price. Well, I told him no thanks, just send me the D-80 that I ordered.

The next day I received an E-mail telling me that they were out of D-80's and the camera was on backorder. I called

their 800 number, and spoke with the same salesman. Basically I was told that the camera would take about a

month to get in, perhaps longer. But, if I ordered something extra he might be able to speed up the process. We

talked for a bit and I was informed that ordering just the body at the discount price wasn't going to happen any time

soon. (Really, it was Never going to happen.)

I canceled my order. After all, if they were this dishonest now, how would they be if I had a problem? Think about it

for a second. How many of you can say that you receive calls from vendors after an internet purchase? I've never had

this happen before. One Way Photo was doing a classic "Bait and Switch". They offered a great price on the

camera, but would never actually sell the camera at that price unless you bought a lot of other things at inflated

prices. Beware One Way Photo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I ordered a D-60 from Ritz Camera on the internet. They had a good back to school deal, and the D-60

included a 18-55VR and a 55-200VR lens and case. It came in via Fed Ex a few days after I placed the order. We

will try it out some today, but right now I'm very happy with the camera and lenses, and especially the service!

I've learned a lesson. If the deal seems to good to be true, it probably is. Any deal with One Way Photo will probably

lead to problems.

Jeff

There are a lot of online retailers that try and pull that 'bait and switch' bit. I pretty much stick to B&H, Adorama, Ritz, and

Amazon for anything camera-related. B&H is my favorite store to work with, as they have good prices, a great selection,

and great ship times in my experience. Whenever a store offers a ridiculously good price on anything online, the chances

are pretty good that something is off. Glad to hear that it ended up turning out okay, Jeffrey, some of those stores latch

right onto you and never let go.

You could have saved yourself a lot of time (and had a much shorter post) if you had just checked resellerratings.com before you tried to buy the camera.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/1_Way_Photo

Wow, they have a rating of 0.59 out of 10. Not even a 1. At least they are honest about it with their name. The money flows 1 Way from your wallet to their pocket.

Thanks all for the advice!

I guess I was in a hurry, and should have spent more time looking up information on the quality of the merchant. It was a very busy time in our household when I ordered the camera, and I didn't do the proper checking. I hope I don't do this again in the future.

After my phone call to cancel the camera, I followed up with a call to my credit card company, and had them put a watch on my account, and also cancel out that card and send me a new card. I also placed a complaint with their fraud division, and they said that they will monitor this company for further complaints.

I've ordered a ton of film and other items from both B&H, and Adorama. Usually very good service and good prices. I've also ordered a few camera bodies and lenses from KEH in the past. Again, I received exactly what I asked for, and a few times I've been amazed at the quality of the used gear that I picked up.

I'll have to check out Resellerratings.com I've never heard of this site before,but will look at it today.

Haste makes waste, and piss poor planning produces piss poor performance. At the end of the day I picked up a good camera for my wife, and I'm sure she will enjoy using it. I just need to be more carefull in the future.

Take care,

Jeff