suggest me which telephoto lens is better for Digital Rebel Xsi

dost

Hi,

<br><br>

i am planning to buy a telephoto zoom lens, please guide me which lens is better for me, i have Digital Rebel Xsi

(450D), i have read some reviews/articles and finally i feel that i should go for <b>Canon EF 70-300/4-5.6IS USM</b>

Please let me know is it wise decision or i should go for <b>Canon EF-S 55-250/4-5.6 IS</b> which has vignetting

issue or <b>Sigma 70-300/4-5.6 APO Macro</b> which has lacks of stabilization.

<br><br>

and i am also looking for a macro lens, i think this one is better choice as per my DSLR <b>Canon EF-S 60/2.8

Macro</b> or i should consider <b>Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro</b>.

<br><br>

Please advice me as per your experience ......

<br><br>

<br>

Thanks

<br><br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

Rizwan Tasadduq

In my view for any lens over 100mm it is essential to have some form of IS when using it hand held. I shoot quite a lot of wild life and nearly all has to be hand held as the subject always is on the move. If the IS has the two position switch to cope with the panning mode then all the better.

If you are in a position to afford the Canon 70-300 IS USM then it should be your choice for an xx-300 - unless you are able to afford something that costs twice as much or more.

So far as the macros are concerned, the Sigma is often overlooked, but is possibly Sigma' sharpest macro lens. The Canon is perhaps more versatile, with its more rapid AF and internal focus. The Sigma has the edge (literally!) on macro optical performance because it retains its sharpness across the frame on a crop camera, being a full frame lens. In practice, I think you would be well satisfied with either of them for macro work.

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/300-sigma-af-70mm-f28-ex-dg-macro-canon-review--test-report

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/162-canon-ef-s-60mm-f28-usm-macro-test-report--review

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions<br>

that means for telephoto zoom lens Canon EF 70-300/4-5.6IS USM is a better choice if i can afford.

<br><br>

for macro lens what about if i may go for Canon EF 100/2.8 Macro USM?

Don't dismiss the EF-S 55-250 f4-5.6 IS. The image quality is very good. It is about 30 per cent lighter and 30 percent smaller than the EF 70-300 f4-5.6 IS. Focus is quick and precise. Those factors and that it is only $300 could make it attractive too you. I haven't noticed any overt vignetting problem.

If you can afford the EF 70-300 f4-5.6 IS and don't mind the extra size and weight then its slight longer reach would make it preferable. There is not much difference in image quality between the two.

"for macro lens what about if i may go for Canon EF 100/2.8 Macro USM?"

In my observation, this is the most used and recommended of the Canon macro lenses, and has an excellent reputation. Further, it is often said that it is hard to buy a poor macro lens, they are all so good.

I use a Tamron 90mm, FWIW, and I would not want to go any shorter (e.g. to 60mm) as this would lessen the working distance too much (for me!)