Rangefinders

Looking to aquire a rugged little camera to replace my digi slr in situations where i either can't be bothered to

carry the bulk, or can't risk its plastic chassis. I understand rangefinders are slighter than the average 35mm

slr, and i'm wondering what would be a good choice in terms of reliability and size. Also leica's and other

pedigree models are beyond my budget. Anyone got any recomnmendations?

if you are looking for a new camera with a working meter, and with the ability to change lenses, the bessa r series would probably be the best bet. they are about one tenth of the price of a leica m, certainly nowhere near as robust as leica bodies, but the later bessa bodies are perfectly good travelling companions.

I agree with Voightlander Bessa series ,especially R, as well but, if you don't mind on your neck a hanging 50s to 60s oldy goldy, you can try old Contax models (or copies) .There are many FSU cameras with great accessories and lenses in screw mount too. Just a little search in ebay or KEH will help.

Hi Maree,

I bought a Canonet (Q something) for about $50 a few months ago. I've only run one or two rolls of film through it. It works well, and has a fixed lens. It's much lighter than my dslr. Unfortunately, I've bought much more expensive stuff on impulse. (-;

I did take a Bessa R2a on a trip with me last year, along with my dslr kit. After purchase of the lens the Bessa still cost me about $1,000. So they are not exactly cheap.

There are lots of really nice rangefinder cameras out there. The Canonet series is very good value. The cheapest is the Canonet 28 (newer model with Cds metering). The QL models are more valued and cost a little more.

For zone-focus models and small size, the Rollei 35 is a dandy little camera, but it's more costly to find.

No discussion of RF cameras would be complete without mention of the old Soviet "Leicas" and "Contaxes" -- the FED/Zorkii lines and the Kiev. They have most of the virtues of the 1930s German cameras that they are nearly identical copies of, and sell for very little. Excellent lenses (also copies of German originals) are also available.

Have you considered getting an older model EOS SLR film camera? They are quite light and very inexpensive, as a rule. They will take all EF (not EF-S) lenses.

For $100 plus/minus a few dollars a Canonet QL17 GIII or an Olympus XA. Both have sharp lenses. The XA is definitely pocket size. Another camera but it is a little larger is the Yashica GSN. It goes for under a $100. There is also the Olympus SP & Minolta 7SII but they will go up to $200. Others are the Olympus RC and Konica S2.

I've been on this vintage rangefinder kick lately.. guess the M3 and M6 are not enough.

<p>

But what i've discovered, is that for under $40, you can get a Yashica GSN, or a Minolta 7s.. and have a pretty

good rangefinder! The best.. is the Konica Auto S2. Incredible camera, and easy to work on if it needs it.

I just pick these cameras up on ebay for almost nothing.. spend an hour cleaning it inside and out.. and I've got

a perfect little rangefinder! granted.. not as light as the M's.. and in no way feels the same in your hand, or

when you click and wind it. but image quality is pretty amazing!

<p>

I'll be selling a few GSN's and Auto S2's on ebay soon... so my wife doesn't divorce me for buying more cameras

on ebay...like my latest love affair.... (and my number one pick to answer this forum question)

<p>

...my number one pick...

<p>

<b>

The Kodak Retina IIa.

</b><p>

...mind blowing Rodenstock 50mm f2 lens... easy to use camera. Fits in your pocket (kinda), and feels solid

like a Leica. I found one on Ebay for about $90, and picked up a beater for $40.

If you want new I can recomend the Bessa R series as well, an excellent and well made camera (though true, not on Leica build levels, but not on Leica price either). If you can afford and want the better build quality but not at Leica price then the Zeiss is trully excellent.

"Budget" is relative I have found. A cool and rugged camera is a Rollei 35 that goes for less than $300 used (Adorama) If you want true classic stuff a Keiv 4 or a Zorki 4 are all metal in construction a bit of a pain to load yet can be had for under $100. The Zorki's are pretty darn good Leica clones and can even use many Leica lens and repair parts. If you can find a working Kodak Retina IIa (type 016) you'll be majorly surprised in this one performance. The Retina IIa is cheap (under $250) and has a very high quality lens that can render pretty good enlargements all the way up to 20 x 30.

-Joe

Be careful with Zorki 4... There's good and bad Zorki 4 the early ones with strap lugs are much better than the latest. On the latest shutter speed are painted instead of engraved that means thats in many case you'll end with no speeds on the shutter dial...

IMO a 3C from the 50s is a bargain. Basically its a Zorki 4 without self timer I have 1955 that is really well built, it even compare to some screw mount Leica. Another advantage is that the Jupiter-8 from the fifties are better than those of the sixties.

One thing to notice about the Zorkis 3C/4& 4K is the 1:1 finder. You may like it or even love it. It allows to shoot both eyes open. It may also dislike Its not that easy to see the frame if you wear glasses.

Maree, do yourself a favor--get an M6, either classic or TTL. They are rugged. They are light. They have built-in metering.

You put all kinds of lenses on them. Service in not a problem. The Zeiss Ikon is also good and a bit cheaper but not as

rugged. The Bessas are fun cameras but best used as backups. Get an M6. It will grow on you and you'll grow with it.