Opening Nef Files into CS3 and NX Capture

blades

Hi Guys, im finding when i open up NEF files from my D80 into CS3, the images are not as sharp in colour as they

should be, Nx Capture gives me the desired result, is there anyway to keep the image as it should be when using

CS3. Im a newby to this and i would like to learn CS3 and NX but im not able to correct the colours diff in CS3. if i

alter anything in CS3 and then save it i guess it will change in colour too.

Regards

Mark

The CS3 program is working properly. It just does not apply the in camera settings that you set except the white balance. With CS3 you have to tinker with the image to get it looking the way you want it to. Sounds like you just need to choose the program that works best for you.

"ONLY NX can read the settings from your camera, that is why they look better on NX than CS3."

Incorrect answer. I use Thumbs Plus Pro, and it reads NEF files perfectly. It also reads RAW files from my other cameras. You have to download and install the Digicam add-in, and then tweak it by telling the program to read the Nikon colors (I posted that instruction in some other thread here a while ago -- can't remember where). Anyway, you can download a trial copy of Thumbs Plus Pro and its Digicam plug-in at www.cerious.com. If you like the trial copy, you can purchase a license for about $85.

Will

The main reason that Adobe's rendition of your raw files differs from NX's is that the two packages use different camera profiles (the ability to read in-camera settings can be important as well, but you'll see significant differences even with the most neutral settings). Nikon's profiles aren't accessible to 3rd parties unless they use Nikon's own software libraries (as Thumbplus Pro + Digicam now optionally does, but Adobe does not). However, Adobe has now released a new set of profiles for beta testing (they don't expire) that supposedly give results much closer to the camera manufacturers' profiles. I haven't tested them yet, but they might be worth a try:

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles

Richard, thanks for explaining that better than I could. All I know for sure is Thumbs Plus Pro with its own Digicam plug-in produces outstanding results with NEF files -- immediately on first viewing. The checkbox in Thumbs Plus Pro plug-ins options reads "Use Nikon libraries to load images." There is also a Canon tab.

Will