Self Help for the Shy Street Photographer

mrraz

I've seen a fair number posts about how to go about being a street photographer, so I want to recommend one of

the best self help books I've found. It doesn't deal with photography at all, but it provides a system for

learning to be the best you can be in any activity in which you choose to participate, photography included. No,

this is not an add.

The book is "Zen of Zombie, Better Living Through the Undead" by Scott Kenemore. It can change your life in as

little as 12 weeks making you a more dynamic, confident person in all your activities including photography.

An exerpt from this book is available on the web.

Here is a quote of part of it, in describing the basis of the more dynamic, confident person:

"Zombies don't worry. Not about themselves. Not about others. Not about climate change. Nothing."

This may not be enough to question (as I have not read the book or even a significant part of it), but if building confidence

ignores others and issues to this point, it might be difficult for a Zombie to be driven by any social or moral principles in

photographing others.

Morality, principles and ethics are just fancy words for biases.

The street or documentary photographer or photojournalist may prefer to be unencumbered by such biases if the goal is vérité rather than "making" an image, telling a story or painting a pretty picture.

People who cannot worry about issues or others usually make poor street photographers, or at worst, Paparazzi.

One feels and perceives in the images of the best street photography the intervention not of a soulless "picture making

macjhine", but a person who responds to what is before him.

...and one doesn't have to be a Norman Rockwell (pretty pictures, worn on the sleeve emotions) to beome involved with the

subject of the photograph. Truth (vérité) doesn't need a Zombie photographer, but rather one who is aware of the multiple

interpretations of an issue or event to be able to see it in a realistic manner. Otherwise, the temptation is to impose one's

limited viewpoint to the image perception.

One quote and you're an expert on Zombies? At least I read the book from cover to cover and laughed. Social or moral principles have nothing to do with street photography. Getting the "shot" is what street or documentary photography is all about. It just doesn't require a viewpoint. Record the moment and the image will stand on its own. Anticipating "the" moment is where the real talent lies. It's just that simple, when you do it. Being able to ignore the pain and suffering that may occur along the way frees one from the emotional baggage that will in the end cramp your style on the street.

I'm not a Zombie, but I do understand them. Do you like brains?

Arthur, where can we see your street photos? All you have visible is photographs of camera gear. I'd like to see how your work differs from zombie photos.

I've seen Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead (the George Romero originals) at least 100 times each. I consider myself an expert on zombies after all that. I even saw Shaun of the Dead. I'm hoping that my photography incorporates some of that, or at least mimics The Cramps.

I don't know, but I think Blade might be a good model. The thing is that Romero had a sense of humor about his zombies, and that only came out later in Blade and Shaun, and Shaun was a parody. Most zombie films are way too serious. The Cramps were clearly funny too, and The Cramps Live at Napa State Mental Hospital is certainly one of the great music films of all time.

Romero's <i>Day of the Dead</i> should be required viewing for all street photographers - or at least for dank, cavernous military bunker photographers. And Jean Rollin's <i>The Living Dead Girl</i> is my model for ethics.<p>

But a for sweet, tasty brainy approach to sensitive, ethical street photography you can't beat <i>Return of the Living Dead</i>. "Send more photographers."<p>

Honestly I dont get the relationship between zombies and street photo...

But I was wondering on some of the topics touched here.

According to Glenn, getting "the shoot", anticipating "the moment" is what street or documentary photography is all

about. No viewpoint needed. Social or moral principles have nothing to do with street photography. The goal is vérité,

right?

I always thougth that maybe if you do landscape photo or nature photo, etc you can do shoot free of any social/moral

biases. Also, I thought that street photo is inherently based on such personal biases as social/moral principles,

otherwise how do you define "the shoot"? how do you define "the moment"? and forget about vérité....

Luis

It's a bit of insider humor, Luis. If you're not familiar with some of the zombie references in pop culture this probably doesn't make sense. But within the context of zombies-as-social-commentary, a metaphor for issues such as consumerism, blurred distinctions in morality and ethics, it makes sense.

Consider it a refreshing change from the usual tiresome debates over ethics in street photography. Well, as refreshing as the undead can be. Phew. Where's the Febreeze?

As for landscapes and nature photography, don't you believe for a moment that those pursuits are unencumbered by the same debates over ethics. Their debates just tend to be more high falutin' 'cause their pitchers are purtier.

Luis, I try to never have a point of view or be encumbered by social or moral principles, when I'm in street photographer mode. It allows me to become attuned to the rhythm of what's happening around me. That's where the anticipation comes into play allowing the peak of action or emotion to be recorded in a single frame. That is the "shot." All the truth necessary is captured in that one moment.

As I look back over my life as a photographer, the fact that I never shot pictures of the dead, theirs or ours, made me a better photographer. I don't know if that was a matter of ethics or principles, but it was a choice I made.

John, I knew you couldn't leave this thread alone, but how does toast figure into this? Brains taste terrible on toast. However, it makes a dynamite knuckle sandwich. 16mm is just reel tired these days.

The convoluted insider references can be very interesting. Simon Pegg and film-making partner Edgar Wright of <i>Shaun of the Dead</i> had cameo appearances as zombies in George Romero's <i>Land of the Dead</i>, in which they were featured as photo booth zombies for novelty tourist photos. I don't recall whether they used film, Polaroid or digital. In the future I suppose all will be dead media.

Yes I think an uncaring zombie would make a good street photographer. Myself, I'm apprehensive about it because I always think people will think "What's that a*****e taking my picture for" Peeping Tom, invasion of privacy. What does that say about me? Hmmmm....