Fuji Fortia SP

Hello,

<br>

I just finished shooting a handful of rolls of Fortia SP 35mm & 6x6cm at the Rhode Island Flower Show '07.

I know I was curious ahead of time as to how it would work, so I've written a tidbit about it with a gallery

of photos. Visit the main gallery link in the navigation (not the link in the article) to see the pictures with

file names so you can know which ones are "fo" - Fortia and which ones are "ve" Velvia.

<br>

<br>

<a href="http://www.photographyri.com">PhotographyRI.com</a>

<br><br>

As a general concept Fortia has a distinct look that is very pleasing, but not for every occasion. It is

recommended as a film for flower photographer, and rated ISO 64 (as opposed to the ISO 50 on Box). It is

a bit pricey (around 1100 yen per roll in a 5 pack of 35mm ~$9.50), and it sold only in Japan (though

some people do sell it on the gray market).

<br><br>

I have to say, I really like it but I know it won't be for everyone. What makes the look very distinct seems

to be that the colors (RGB) don't overlap much and the tonal width of the colors is fairly narrow. So, it isn't

that it is more saturated than Velvia, it just has a much more distinct color rendition.

<br><br>

*note on the pictures - some were adjusted for color caste (mixed lighting in the building) but not for

saturation.

<br><br>

James

Ugh! Velvia 100F -- the abortion that lived.

Anyway, although you have an interesting Flash-based website, could you post a couple side-by-side composite images of the same subject (such as the red tulips) with the 2 films?

Too bad you didn't include Kodachrome in the mix, too. :(

I didn't take the same shot of two subjects; it wasn't my intention to test the film per se. If

you click on the other gallery in the Nav bar and enter the album (as opposed to the user

friendly link in the blog entry) you will see the "fo" or "ve" description in the file name and

this will let you know which shot is which film. The shots are predominantly Fortia, but

there is Velvia and Provia 400F in there as well.

I like Velvia 100f myself. I don't shoot kodachrome because it isn't convenient, where as

the E-6 I get a 3 hour turnaround on.

James

Could be a fluke or just my impression of a couple of examples I have seen. In my own

photos the blue is very blue. In some deep blue skies I have seen printed and in a couple of

slides I feel like the colors moved towards purple. This may be just my interpretation and not

an actual color shift.

James

photographyri.com

• 1 year later...

<p>At this point I don't recall - but if it were a scan it would be the Epson v750. Still love the Fortia, not the right tool for

everything, but a great tool for what it does best.</p>

<p>

James

</p><p>

I've updated my site since the original post, so here is a newer link:

</p><p>

<a href="http://www.photographyri.com/index.php?blog=5&s=fortia&page=1&disp=posts&paged=3">The Newer

Photography RI link</a></p>