Flash on bracket : center or off-center ?

That umbrella helmet is cool! Thats a pretty great idea. I want to build a similar one, probably just for individual portraits. Two Flashes with diffusers on arms on each side would work better than the single umbrella (which is going to make a shadow of the users head in some situations. I bet you'd get some really weird looks if you showed up at a wedding with something like that.... unless it's the next big thing and becomes accepted by the masses.

Jamie: "I bet you'd get some really weird looks if you showed up at a wedding with something like that..."

Yes you would.

Based on yesterdays visit to a popular location for wedding photos, An interesting observation was made.

Three of the four wedding partys used at least two DSLR photographers. There was one who used three. Eighty

seven per cent of the photographers used a Nikon D3 (which speaks volumes for Nikon) but each had a different

lens (which minimizes the lens changes if only one photographer was used). The Nikonians used an SB800 flash

unit which was either hot shoe or Stroboframe mounted. Some used the Nikon supplied white Omni-Bounce-like

diffuser. Others used the built-in pull out bounce card. Other's used straight flash.

There was only one wedding photographers using a Canon 1D series body with an assistant either holding a

reflector or changing his lenses. The photographer used a Stroboframe mounted diffuserless 580EX II flash unit.

He was alternating between a 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 IS.