Client says CD's look terrible on her computer...

elizabeth_f1

I recently gave a client her cd's along with her 4x6 prints. The

pictures look great printed and on my computer when I view the

cd's. She's says the cd's look terrible (and she agrees that the

prints look beautiful)... Anyone have any clue what is going on

her? What do I tell her, to buy a new monitor? I appreciate

anyone's input.

just tell her that her monitor is beat. that if she wants to view graphics a lot of the time on that monitor, it either need to be calibrated or replaced. Since she has the prints also, I really wouldn�t worry about it because she knows it�s not you its her monitor.

There's also a possibility that your monitor is not calibrated. If yours is off one way and hers is off the other way, then they could look awful on her computer. If your lab makes corrections for you automatically (and I think most do) you may not even realize that your monitor is out of calibration. Do you check your histograms in photoshop to make sure the photos are good?

Elizabeth,

Take your monitor calibrator over to her house and calibrate her monitor to white point = 6500K and a gamma = 2.2.

You DO have a monitor calibrator, don't you?

By the way, some people above recommended the ColorVision Spyder; and although I have one, I realize its limitations, and do NOT recommend them. Instead, when I replace my Spyder it will be with a Gretag Eye One.

It may not be a monitor calibration issue at all. I've had the experience of viewing Frontier scans (4x6) from a CD and they look really bad (some kind of sharpening effect, not a color problem). Lots of threads in photonet about how poorly some scans look when viewed. And these scans did produce fine 4x6 prints. Must have something to do with sharpening algorithms and such. Also, try viewing the scans at 100% "actual pixels" - might help.

ACK! Don't you DARE calibrate her monitor for her! :) But really, this is her problem, not

yours. Unless you're going to charge her a fee for color-calibration, you should just tell

her not to worry about it. Colors will look different on every monitor -- especially the

average Joe's computer. Remind her that the proofs look great, and that any subsequent

prints by a professional lab will also be beautiful.

Okay, sorry to sound so harsh. There's just no reason for you to be giving this bizarre

service to someone for free! You're an artist; educate your client, get paid for your time,

and soothe her worries! :)

Best,

-Anne

Dan,

Which model Gretag do you recommend? Don't they have them for less than $150 ranging all the way up to several hundred? I need a monitor calibrator and haven't been able to decide which one is best. My interests are primarily landscape, macro, and occasional non-critical portraits. I get by pretty well without a calibrator for the landscape and macro, but think one could be helpful (if not actually a necessity) for portraits.