monopods

mwtphoto

I use a Bogen/Manfrotto 681. Basic 3-piece, aluminum, black monopod.

There are various types of monopods, for all types of situations. Mag fiber, aluminum, automatic, self-standing, 2-section, 3-section, etc. The choices are many for you to zone in on for your specific needs.

Gitzo, Bogen, Giottos, Slik, Benro, are just a few good names available.

I use a Manfrotto 3245 fitted with a Markins Q3 ballhead. It's tall and fast operating. Works well with my longest lens for

sports work ... the Olympus E-1 fitted with 50-200/2.8-3.5 + 1.4x teleconverter, the field of view equivalent of a 560mm

f/4.9 lens in 35mm film camera terms.

Godfrey

I have made several for myself and members of my family .. using aluminium square tube [RHS] which you will find slides inside outside adjacent sizes. Then I mount a ballhead on top. This way I can achieve a really tall monopod.

My opinion is that an expensive monopod is a great way to spend money without getting significantly better performance. A cheap, flimsy, lightweight monopod is just as steady as a really heavy, high quality one. It does not suffer the same stability issues that a cheap flimsy tripod does, and rigidity is not needed. All you need is enough monopod to be able to reliably hold up your heaviest camera & lens. Buying more may gain you some durability, but monopods don't get abused much, so for most of us this is not an issue. And a lightweight aluminum pod is still lighter than an expensive carbon fiber pod. Odd but true.

Every time I say the above I get accused of being cheap and not thinking things through, but whatever.

I like the simple tilt heads over ball heads for monopods, but it does depend on how you like to use it. I use the tilt head sideways and I keep it semi loose so I can flip the camera into portrait mode quick without having to touch a knob. I push the pod forwards or backwards to get a higher or lower view. A ball head is slower to use, but more versatile, and still a lot faster than a tripod. To each his own.

Get an opteka monopod from amazon for $12. Its great and comes with a carrying case!!! I have used it with my D200 and 70-300 with no issues at all. The pod goes up high enough for me (am 5'11") and I don't use a ball head, which would extend the height by a bit for you. But its a great buy and tremendous value for money:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002RBQO0/nmphotonet-20

All monopods are exactly the same. A monopod is nothing more than a stick, with a camera mount on one end. In the final analysis, as long as the leg locks are strong enough to support your gear without slipping, you won't ever notice any difference in performance.

That said: I have a 3-section Bogen, with a small ballhead on top, which I like very much... The problem with the swivel/tilt heads, is that they tilt in only one plane. When you're shooting uphill or down, being able to keep the monopod more or less vertical is nice.

I just bought a Bogen/Manfrotto 679 for my 40D and a heavish zoom. I put the Bogen 234 swivel head and the QR release on it. I'm very happy with it and it was the right mix of weight, size, and fit for me.

What worked best for me was going down to the local shops and actually seeing and feeling them, particularly the various Manfrottos, both aluminum and carbon fiber. That made it easier for me to decide what was too heavy, what looked too wimpy, what was balanced, etc.

Some things can be bought from spec sheets, but some things (cameras, lenses, tripods, etc) should be personally seen and felt.