Software support for 2 different EOS DSLRs

don_bryant2

Hello everyone,

I'm probably going to purchase a new Canon 40D in the next week or two and I'm curious to hear if I will have any

software conflicts downloading files from my old 400D.

I've done some searches on this question and as far as I can tell the answer is maybe, probably, no problem, or who

knows.

I can copy using a card reader so that maybe my only option but I do like using Zoombrowser to take a quick look at

the newly downloaded images.

For that matter I have no idea what will happen when I try to install the EOS 40D software on a PC with the EOS

400D software already installed.

Thanks,

Don Bryant

PS: Same questions for a G9 and an old A75 P&S

As the software for both cameras is produced by the same company (canon) and such software is available to download from the Canon website for users to upgrade to the latest version of said software, I'd say your concerns are unfounded.

The newest Canon software is always backwards compatible with older DLRs. I use the latest DPP, ImageBrowser, etc.

with a Rebel XTi, 40D, 5D and SD700 IS. It's all the same. The only problem you might have is if you attempt to use a

brand new model with old software.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

"It's a lot simpler and more convenient to use a card reader. I never use any of the SW that comes with my cameras,

besides for Zoombrowser."

The OP stated he uses a card reader. I use DPP for raw conversion and EOS Utility for tethered shooting. Extremely

useful apps with or without a card reader. HAven't found much use for ImageBrowser other than viewing the AF point

used...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Puppy, read the post again and take note of the grammar. He said he CAN use a card reader, i.e. it is an option, not his exclusive choice. I stated that IMO it is easiest to simply use a card reader. Not rocket science to understand.