Old Photographers

When you are weeks away from your 72nd birthday, as I am, you tend to take such a question more seriously. I am not a killjoy, but it does raise some serious issues. I have well over 100 film cameras, and I would like to find them a good home as well as providing some cash for my wife who must outlive me. I took up collecting seriously about 6 years ago, and have quite a few classics in ex+ condition. I must get around to cataloging them, since my wife, who has a better photo "eye" than I, can hardly tell them apart.

'The old order changeth, yielding place to new,

And God fulfills Himself in many ways;

Lest one good custom should corrupt the world.'

Old photographers never die, they become Independent Film Makers.

Kerry: Find a reputable dealer--there are such things--and make him/her aware of your collection, so that your wife has a resource when (may the day be long delayed) you are no longer here.

My Uncle was a photographer and he passed away just coming up on a year ago now. He was cremated and his ashes

were spread in up state New York. His cameras were donated to the photography department at the UofA (they have

all Ansel Adams stuff at the UofA as well). I don't know what became of all his photos.

I'm not sure that helps to answer the question but it made me think of him...

Actually, I suppose based on personal experience, they die.

Depressing huh?

Terry, my bag, vest, tripod and light stands have reached the point of an additional straw breaking my back. I recommend checking the yellow pages under " sherpa bearer," much cheaper than a wife and they dont complain when you buy that new lens. The bearers also can hold lights and reflectors and be directed to adjust them when you are standing at the camera- acting as VALS- McNallys voice activated light stands. Or try what some back packers do here in CA, a lama. Forget burros, they're as cantankerous as some wives. Leave them to the prospectors. The burros I mean.

Think the following situation: computers get broken by some specific "disease". Internet, as well. Somehow, nothing can be recovered, recreated, not digital cameras, nor the software, since the entire science related to these was published mostly on computers and internet. By consequence, digital era suddenly ends. All that remains are the prints. <br>I know it's a SF dystopia. But supposing that it will eventually happen, all that remain are the prints. And people might redescover the analogue camera, the film photography, the traditional methods - the Old Photography. Until they get "digital" again...

Geoff, you are right, 45 years after quitting, I would still walk a mile for a Camel unfiltered. Flavor, aroma, great smoke. Macanudo stoggies are a great substitute. Unfortunately, most of my friends that kept smoking them are dead. You remember the term, coffin nails.

Oh, you were referring to the animal? Dont they spit. Could be handy for lens cleaning. Got to love those multi taskers.

Maria, wasnt that an episode of Twilight Zone. Yikes, film advance levers, developer, black and white, do ya think? No LCD's. Sounds like life ending as we now know it. This could give me nightmares. Is this what is meant by SF values. Heres a shot from 2 weeks ago from the Festival of Sail taken on the Bounty.<div>00QRgT-62857584.jpg.d6d062f7663fcb6aab512863c5da8a6b.jpg</div>

I dunno Sinh, that seems pretty narrow minded. What if someone chooses to "back up their soul" on some other brand of equipment with some other OS? Personally I feel pretty much the same about the church as I do about Microsoft and I'd trust an eternal hard drive attached to a Linux OS *WAY* more than I'd trust an hard drive attached to a JC OS.

Maybe Buddhists think they need to back up to a HD on Buddha OS so they can be properly restored. Maybe Islamists think the better OS is the Mohammad OS?

I dunno, there are a lot of other brands out there. How do you know you picked the best one? Was there an article in Consumer Reports?

ROFLMAO

Great responses ranging from the humorous to the religious and philosophical. I think the consensus is that old photographers live on in some way and don't die (ok- maybe the bodies too- no pun intended) and don't fade away they live on through the work that is left behind and those they touched in some way. I like the Sinh's comment about Jesus Christ OS. Been trying to market that one for years. Thank you ladies and gentlemen for all your fine responses.