link for canadian laws of shooting in public

i agree peter. i had a discussion with a friend the other day. he said i would be breaking the law if i took a picture of someone after they said not to. i disagree with this, and was just wondering if there was a page that sort of lays out the 'rules' of the street that i could point him to.

<a href=http://www.photo.net/street-documentary-photography-forum/00Knab>This earlier thread on St/Doc</a> discusses

a Canadian Supreme Court case based upon a particular section of the Quebec Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms.

The provision, however, is specific to Quebec, and the case did grow out of the publication of a street photo.<p>

Having no idea what sources Peter may be relying upon, I can't respond meaningfully to his post. What he says

<i>sounds very good</i>, and while I'd want that be an accurate statement of the law throughout Canada -- at

least as to public places in which there is no reasonable expectation of privacy -- I

don't know for a fact that it is.<p>

I have never had a license to practice law anywhere in Canada, so the last thing I want to do is pose as an

expert on Canadian law.

Might there be any "Lawyers for the Arts" type organizations there? Jeff and I got more than an hour's time with an

attorney specializing in media arts law through that organization in California. For $30...

www.citysnaps.net

Here Ya Go Matt:

http://ambientlight.ca/laws.php

Last year, I spent considerable time trying to get a handle on this...I even corresponded (by email) with both,

the Ontario and Federal Privacy Commissioners' offices....no clarity from them!

My overall impression is that the rules/laws in Canada are far from clear and (as with many of our laws) they are

jurisdictional and situational...with some case law thrown into the mix.

As a result of my research into this matter (if I were you I wouldn't take advice from me), I personally believe

that I can photograph whatever I want, in a public place, within the bounds of common sense. However, I must be

careful what I do with those photographs unless I get a signed release

As they often say on the internet...Your Mileage May Vary!!!

Good Luck!

Cheers! Jay