Cart to Pull with Hips

teffy

I am looking for a cart for rough terrain, including sand, that I can PULL via something attached to my hips (due

to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome).

These are close, but I'd have to come up with a scheme for a hip-harness-thingy:

Ameristep Backpack Game Cart

or Collapsible Game Cart

http://www.cabelas.com

Sherpa Cart

http://www.sherpacart.com

Something I could ALSO pull behind a bike would be sweet, but a scheme to tow it on foot seems even more difficult.

Burley Nomad

http://burley.com/products/adventure/nomad.cfm

Has anyone got suggestions for me?

Thanks,

Teffy

If you're just poking around places where the terrain is easy any of these seem fine, but in my experience, no cart will work over anything that can be considered rough terrain. I meet with some people from time to time to head out to photograph around the state who use jogging strollers, but we live in Florida where everything is flat. Anything that the average person would consider rough terrain would stop any of these carts and the effort and strain to portage one over a fallen tree or some large rocks is likely going to be considerable. I went the backpack route for my medium and large format cameras and find this to be both versatile and handy over any terrain.

- Randy

In the past, I have adapted a golf-bag cart to move around a camera bag and tripod. Used backpack frame and hose

clamps along with PVC pipe. After 9/11 I gave it up as too...... odd-looking. How about a really light weight

rough country kit built around a Polaroid conversion (with Grafmatics) and a carbon tripod. Could you backpack

that around?

Regards,

Drew Bedo

www.quietlightphoto.com

Randall's point about ability to portage over a fallen tree or large rocks is a good one -thus the light weight of the Feisol (only five or 6 pounds!) is great. But, I think the wheel diameter is too small.

Drew, I can't picture what you're describing. Did you attach the backpack frame to the golf cart?

Another goal I have is to make access to my gear easier. Taking a backpack on and off every time I want to get some piece of equipment is less appealing than stepping back to a cart and flipping open a suitcase lid.

Bob, I am glad your operation was successful. I might go that route myself, but I’ve heard that one’s use of the hand must be reduced to prevent the condition from returning.

Hello Teffy,

Yes; the pack frame was stripped of all harness and straps, then attached to the cart with small diameter hose

clamps. My LowePro backpack mounted to the frame. An alternate configuration used a length of 8"diameter black

plastic pipe to hold the camera while mounted on a wooden tripod. After 9/11 it just looked too suspicious. It

towed pretty well and was much more managable than my jogging stroler.

How about using a minimal LF kit(Polaroid, Fotoman etc.) in a smallish bagon a set of collapsing luggage

wheeles. A heavy duty set would pull pretty well and still allow you to lift it over obsticals.

Check out Chariot jogging strollers and bike trailers for kids here http://www.chariotcarriers.com/english/html/conversion_kits.php?conID=5 then look for the CTS Cross Country Ski conversion kit. That kit converts a bike trailer to skis with a hands free body harness. If you leave the wheels on, and add the harness you will have a pretty slick trailer that will handle rough terrain. Last time I checked, they weren't inexpensive but I think it would work nicely.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

The local mountain photo group uses converted golf carts. I've looked at the possibility and checked out carts at the local thrift stores. Price, $4-10. I looked at the strength of the wheel axles since they would be the most likely part to fail. They ranged from pitifully frail to built like a tank. Some carts looked easy to modify some more of a challenge. I know these guys attach them to their waists and go everywhere on and off trail over rocks and rough terrain. If I used one I'd be sure of the wheel axles. You want steel (not cast aluminum) shafts and linkage.