Having second thoughts about 500c kit.

connor_roelke

Okay guys. Last month I picked up a hasselblad 500c, 80/2.8 c chrome, and a12 back for $450. I realized this was an old kit, but it was a

good offer that was within my medium format budget at the time. Now I'm having second thoughts.

I'm worried that if something breaks (please let it not) that I will be in a hole in terms of repairs. I am also tempted by the new acumatte

screens in newer models. But I'm also worried that this camera might be at the end of its life being 40 years old.

So, my question, should I try and sell this for what I payed? Or should I try and shake this bad feeling and keep enjoying my camera? I'm

expecting that if I do sell, I'm going to end up with an 80/2.8 cf t instead of a c and a 500cm.

What do you guys think? An opinions will be appreciated.

Hasselblads are built like tanks. That does not mean they do not break. If your lens is the one I think it is, then it is worth the price you paid for the whole kit. Here is a link to a guy that does repairs if you need them. He even warranties his work for 6 months. He even has prices for his labor posted. Personally, I think I would just keep shooting the camera. You can always send your body to me if you think its at the end of its life.

http://www.david-odess.com/

Jason

At that price, I would just shoot it until it falls apart. 450 for a full kit is very good, and the advantages of a newer kit may

not be worth the substantial difference in price. Remember the newer bodies are essentially the same, only with better

screens (and flash metering if you get the very latest), and the 80mm planar is the same lens, only without multicoating

(increased flare resistance and contrast). Like Jason said, these things are very durable and with proper care they should

function for decades. The price you paid is so cheap, (450 is about the price of 1.5 to 2 CLA's for a new hasselblad), that it

is worth just crossing your fingers and hoping. Unless you have some sort of evidence that it is about to fall apart...

No evidence that its falling apart. Its in very good condition and the previous owner treated it well as far as I know. I just

have a nagging feeling, but I don't think I'm going to worry about it.

I did see Dave Odesses website a little awhile ago. To get my whole kit cla'd is the price I paid for it! Maybe I should stick

with it and use the money towards glass.

The other thing that struck me is reading somewhere that the minimum body and lens they recommended purchasing is a

500cm and cf t. Neither of which I have. But I'm probably just over thinking this and am wasting time where I could be

shooting.

Of course there is always a chance that something goes wrong with an older camera.

Buying a younger camera does not mean that camera can not go wrong!

What happens depends largelyon the way the camera was used and serviced before and pure luck.

The lens is an all metal construction with a Compur shutter. If the slow speeds are beginning to run irregular and

become sluggish the shutter needs to be cleaned and given some fresh oil.

Nothing dramatic most repair companies can do that. It does not need to cost an arm and a leg.

Check the 500C body for the operation of the auxilary shutter.

If this opens and closes completety and does it without hesitation the body should last a couple of years without

problems.

The film back has one point that needs attention every couple of years. That is the light seal at the side where the

darkslide is inserted. This part you can find at eBay around 15 USD it is often sold with fitting instructions. Some

guys are able to fit it themselves. It takes a repairman 5-10 minutes to do that.

David Odess is an excellent repairman who can check your camera and service it.

He can tell from experience what you can expect. His work does not come cheap but is of the highest

standards.

These cameras are like cars. There performance depends on the way they were used and serviced.

Like any car a Hasselblad likes to be serviced once in a while. Moderately used cameras like a service every 3-5

years.

If you consider an Acute Matte screen it may be a good idea to get a 500CM body with an A M screen.

Your 500C can serve you as a back up. If your 500 C is in excellent condition it makes sense to convert it to an A M

screen.

I have a few Hasselblad cameras from the early fifties that are still going strong. I have all older cameras serviced for

two reasons: It is good practise to clean and have them given fresh oil. The eye of a good repair man sees things

that may go wrong and can prevent more damage by service the camera in time.

These cameras were fitted with focal plane shutters that are more vulnerable. Nevertheless they will serve me any

day without problems, k.o.w. !

I inserted a picture of a 1951 1600F camera that is still going strong after a good CLA job.<div>00QJeH-60179584.thumb.jpg.ad8afbd0f8a05cb648c08f8b03e6adb2.jpg</div>

The reason they probably recommended the 500cm is because of available parts. That is the only reason. Trust me I have been doing a lot of personal research because I just bought my first Hasselblad. CF is a newer lens, and again that has to do with parts. For what you have invested, I personally would not worry too much. Your thinking is correct. Put your money in glass. Get yourself a nice 150mm lens.

Jason

Thanks for the responses everyone. I dont see any reason to upgrade now, aside from the acutte mat screen. That being

said, I saw a 500c/m on Dave's site for $450. Keh quoted me $350 or so for my 500c. Does that seem like a worthwhile

upgrade to consider?

Later 500C cameras do not differ much from most 500CM cameras.

With the exception of the oldest 500C cameras , meaning cameras built between 1957 and 1962, there is no spares problem.

That is in itself quite an accomplishment for Hasselblad cameras only to be bettered by Leica.

If your kit has been well looked after it should last you for years to come. On a monthly basis I would run through all of the

f stops and exposure speeds with the back off. This keeps the lubricants moving. A plastic back cover for the body

makes this a simple operation.

Looks like there is plenty of support in this forum. I hope you guys are as patient as me when I start asking all my questions. I have a 553 ELX on the way that I just purchased that I will be sending directly to David for his evaluation. If he tells me to keep it, I am going have him go through it completely. Paul that is a really good looking camera you have there.

Jason