Photoshop Elements 6 Snubs k20d files?

shots worth sharing

Have you upgraded to V1.01 firmware?

Some programs did not like the Make string to change from Pentax Corporation to just Pentax. You can modify the Exif to say Pentax Corporation again until there is an upgrade for your software.

Hope this helps.

My idea was that if it's an older cam, you upgraded to 1.01, or if it's new it came with 1.01.

if you do have 1.01, get exiftool, available for linux, OSX and windows. and a simple commandline will take care of it until PSE6 (or the ACR it uses) is fixed for it.

Or check if you can upgrade the ACR for PSE6 (since most ACR users boasted how they had no issues like me with my software ;) )

Ahhh... the delights once again of computer efficiency and clarity of operation!!! Won't it be nice when (if) the day arrives when we can again buy something and it works without a hitch! I got my computer with PSE 1 installed. Worked fine except not full functions with over 8 bit files. So I eventually bought PS 7 Pro at 1/2 price. Full function- but NOW if I use it to modify a photo, and save it in a folder, every time I open that photo, it opens PS 7!! I am not a techie and don't know how to make it stop. When I had to upgrade my Adobe PDF reader, Adobe also installed a photo organizer I did not ask for, which began adopting all my photo files!! And they now looked terrible and grainy!! I called Adobe, and they wanted me to pay them to straighten out the problem they had foisted upon me. Luckily, I got someone from my service provider to help me uninstall and reinstall without the unwanted problem.

So I wasted my money on PS 7, as well as the CS update (yet uninstalled) as something I hardly ever use now. Back to PSE 1, (ok for JPEGs) and to heck with it. I just shoot film, JPEGS, and some RAW, which I process to some degree in the software provided with the camera. My attitude is, hey when you all get it together years from now, where what I buy WORKS without my trying to FIX it, and it works quickly, easiliy, efficiently, in easy to understand plain English, come back and talk to me.

I am disappointed to learn a more common, supposedly user-friendly but advanced form of PSE does not respond with every and all camera models!! Even with the bad experinces, I had thought about possibly getting PSE 6 which I thought would be easier for a non-computer person like me to function with. Now I know better. Probably would not work with K200D either, and who knows what else?? By the time an "update" occurs, so these cameras are accomodated, they'll be discontinued, and replaced by a new model PSE 6 does not recognize!!!

Good to know that Dave!! You're a lot better with such an issue than I would be. I would not have a clue what to do next. I would expect no problem, or if the above did pop up, it would be with a clickable message "want me to fix this issue?"

I'd be interested to know how you find PSE 6, and the ACR compared to the Pentax converter. I have read the sharpnes is excellent, but color saturation is somewhat lacking. I think I understand that the Pentax converter will recognize camera settings, where the Adobe does not so you have to adjust everything from scratch??

From what I've read, Nikon's NX is rated tops in every factor, recognizes camera settings too. It would be fine with me if Pentax should further upgrade their software and duplicate that performance.

Michael, the fault/problem doesn't like with the software company as much as with the camera company. When a new camera is released the native RAW format is generally slightly different to the one used on its previous models. Software companies usually wait a while before releasing updates to their RAW engines that can read native formats. I suppose they wait until they have a few new cameras from Canikon to add to the list of supported equipment before releasing the upgrade. I'm sure Pentax, Sony and the rest have to wait for the big boys so they can hitch a ride on the update bus.

As the K20D and K200D are relatively new, I'd be surprised in Adobe had already updated their RAW libraries to include them. Until then, shoot DNG. Unlike other brand users, we have that option.

Michael, I use ACR and can confirm that it doesn't recognise camera settings for contrast, saturation, etc. Not

such a big deal; when I put the SD card into the computer I open all the images in ACR, select them all, and

apply extra saturation, contrast, etc. Then I figure out the few that I really like and work on those one-on-one.

I rarely open an image for manipulation in Photoshop anymore unless it's for downsizing; all the colour

adjustments I need to make I can accomplish in ACR, including B&W and duochrome manipulations.

I've been remiss in not thanking Daniel for getting me pointed in the right direction--much appreciated!

The truth is, I don't know what ACR is. I always open images in FastStone. Half of the time, I can do all the

adjustments right there and save to tif but if I want exposure adjustment, noise reduction, cloning etc., I'll go

to PSE. One of these days, maybe I'll learn curves and layers but whenever I ponder whether I want to learn

software or shoot photos, the latter always wins :~)

Adobe Camera Raw, the raw converter PSE and PS use to convert, also lightroom revolves around ACR.

Fast stone isn't actually too bad, based on the open source dcraw.

Sounds like you want Lightroom more than PSE (if you like to stick with adobe, if not you'd want Bibble), to me a photo editor like Photoshop (Elements) is just not as useful as a powerful raw converter that allows me to work fast, does what i want and does not get in the way. "if I want exposure adjustment, noise reduction, cloning etc., I'll go to PSE", a good raw converter does those things for you w/o hopping into a fancyful (that's bait for CS3 owners) photo editor.

Personally, I like the idea of adjusting contrast, etc. *on location*, according to what I am shooting, and doing retakes as needed. I like looking at the actual scene, and making adjustments. I prefer that as opposed to doing part of the shot over again post process, unless I have to. So for me, the camera settings are of value, and then go from there.

I love Lightroom, although the realtionship has <b>slowly</b> been building over the last year.

<P>

I hate photoshop! I have it, and the realtionship has kicked off, but so far it feels like round three of a Muay Thai bout! Why don't they sell these applications with cute little assistants to do all the work for you? I mean, <b><i>I JUST WANT TO TAKE PICTURES DAMMIT!!!!</b></i>

<P>

Sigh...

To be fair, it's obvious that these Adobe applications are incredibly powerful and those who have mastered them

do wonderful things with them. Then, too, I'm at a curmudgeonly age (and have always been so inclined--I hung my

first mouse on my office wall in a rat trap.) Still, I am capable of acquiring modest proficiency--given time

and motivation. There are just some very steep learning curves here.

The marvelous thing about digital photography is the control it affords all the way from capture to print but

that control comes at the cost of learning the tools. Sure, it's complicated but then it always has been--it's

just complicated in a digital sort of way.

Swearing helps--always has ;~)

Dave, I find Photoshop completely unintuitive, and still need to consult a book when I do even simple stuff like adding a signature. ACR, on the other hand, is a completely different story; I had been using it for over a month before I felt the need to wander off into Google to see if there were any tutorials that might teach me something I hadn't found out on my own. Unlike Photoshop, everything is right there before your eyes, the different control sections (general, contrast, sharpening, colour control, etc) each have their own tab, and within each tab everything has a slider. Then you have the "preview" tick box so you can compare the before and after. It's so easy, you wouldn't believe it was Adobe :-)

Anyway, that's enough advertising from me. After all, I only get a 0.00005% commission every time I get one of you guys to buy into ACR. :-)