light meter for bronica sq ai camera

steven_ches

just bought a bronica sq ai camera and I need or should i say looking to buy a light meter to take portrait pictures

outdoors but i havent aclue which light meter to go for as I am new to all this..if anyone could help me out on this

one any any info would be very greatful..again I mainly only want a light meter to take natural outdoor light portrait

pictures.

Thanks

anything that gives good esxposures :)) I use Gossen Lunastar F, it is 30 degrees reflective measuring + incident if needed. Some say it is too wide - well, it is good enough for me, very reliable, I do not need 1 degree spot meter t be honest. You can use old selenium meters but they are not reliable in very dark or very light or contrasty situations. People here will advise you to buy expensive Seconis 7xx for huge money - well, do you need one? I would say - no. Buy some decent lightmerter for 100 $ maximum off ebay, minolta III are decent ones, they are cheap on ebay as newer models are much more sought after. (having some minor upgrades as for me).

An incident light meter would probably be the easiest thing to use for outdoor portraits. FWIW I'm quite fond of my old Sekonic 428, although there are many choices. Many Gossen meters, although basically for reflected light, have dome shaped incident light attachments built-in, which work very well.

<i>"Many Gossen meters, although basically for reflected light, have dome shaped incident light attachments built-

in, which work very well.

"</i><br><br>That is because they are not "basically for reflected light". They are for both, and do indeed both

equally well. And as well as any other meter.<br>So anyone not knowing Gossen meters: do not think that incident

light metering is added to Gossen meters' capabilities as an afterthought.<br>;-)

Another suggestion: Sekonic Studio deluxe. This is a selenium cell meter, so it doesn't need a battery. Comes with attachments for both reflected and incident modes, and is extremely reliable. Downside is that it's not overly sensitive, but for outdoor use it's ideal. Expect to pay around $60 to 80 for a good used example with all the attachments.

I'd also second the vote for a Minolta autometer III or IIIF. It's an excellent meter, but you need to make sure that it comes with both the reflected and incident attachments (it took me 3 months to get a new reflection attachment on order from Minolta), and be prepared to either remove the battery between uses, or feed it endless PX28s.

The older model 300 series Sekonic meters are all sweet: 318, 328, and 308. The 318 lacks flash metering but both the 328-308 have it--worthwhile getting on the cheap since you'll likely try studio lighting and be stuck without a flash meter. Again, make sure you get the ambient/reflected reading discs for these. All take a single AA that lasts forever. Small(deck of cards-sized), legible LCD readouts, sturdy, good ergonomics, very affordable used(esp. the 318-328).

Make sure you get a light meter that is small enough to conveniently carry in a pocket. I have a preference for

the Sekonic 308 but I am sure many others will do as well.

But, you have a golden opportunity to use your brain and learn to meter by eye. It's incredibly simple most of

the time. Just start thinking about what the meter reading is in relation to the light. You will find that you

are always getting something like f11 @ 1/500th in normal sun and f8 @ 1/500th when overcast. Remember that or

whatever you are getting based on your exposure index. This will rapidly evolve into "Meter? I don't need no

stinkin' meter, I KNOW this is F? @ ?/?00th"