K100D Super hotshoe flash

rdc1534

Recently spent my photo budget on a K100D Super. As any flash recommended by Pentax is sort of pricy at the

moment, what would happen if I used an Achiever 260 that I had been using on my film ZX30

I dont think voltage is a problem because it was low enough to be fine with the ZX-30. I know it will not be P-TTL but

will it work ok using the flash sensors to control light. ie any harm in trying it????

Thanks

Measure the voltage with multimeter. Better safe then sorry. You can check (for reference only) if your flash is compatible on this site: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

DSLRs have different circuits than SLRs and can only accept flashes with up to 25-30V. Anything more can fry your camera.

You will be able to use your older flash in manual mode. It is simply the old fashion way where you set the shutter speed (1/180), fixed ISO (i.e. 100), focus, read the distance to the subject (flash to subject), get aperture from flash chart and set that aperture on the camera.

I use an old Vivitar 2800D, and it works fine... just in manual mode or flash automatic. I did buy a mutimeter and check that my voltage was okay, despite reassurance from some sites on the web. @$10, well worth it.

If the voltage of the Achiever 260 is safe, then the only question is, is the 260 a TTL flash or a traditional auto-flash? The K100D Super does not support TTL, so you will only be able to use such a flash in purely manual mode. This means you will have to calculate the aperture for every shot.

Paul Noble

"using the flash sensors to control light..." If the flash indeed has an auto setting, non-TTL, regulated by the flash's own sensor system, this should then provide automatic flash exposure with your K100D. Just be sure to operate within the camera's 1/180 sec sync range. I would assume, since the flash was ok with your ZX30, its voltage should be fine, but I would check to make sure.