A good classic camera for portraits

Hello everybody,

I'm searching for a good classic, 70's or pre 70's camera, for portraits. I'm working in high contrasts, often close-ups,

inside/outside shooting. So i'm taking advices to buy something good, but i may say that i don't know anything

about that kind of material.

Moreover, the kind of films to use is also important.

If i'm not accurate enough in my asking, please tell me!

Thank you!

You did not mention the cost but I would suggest the Hassleblad 6x6. The 80mm lens is the normal length so for portraits you would seek out the 80mm and something longer. The films are of a user choice type thing but usually one of the Kodak or Fuji professional portrait films would do well. There are a number of other good medium format camera's available. They are much more capable then the 35mm size for high quality portraits. One of the nice things about the 6x6 size is you do not need to flip the camera on it's side for portraits. That can be a chore with a medium format size camera.

I have been shooting with Hasselblad and it is a great camera. But to choose a 80mm lens for close-up portraits (because it corresponds to about 50mm lens in 35mm cameras), as some people here propose, is wrong. The right ones would be either 150mm or 250mm. For colour portraits, as Nolan mentioned, the best ones are the Kodak and Fuji professional films and accroding to my experience in b&w, the best skin tones you get with Ilford and more contrasty with Kodak Tri-x. I hope this helps.<div>00QFbw-58941984.jpg.600b98085053669f27ee8b92a21f8622.jpg</div>

"But to choose a 80mm lens for close-up portraits (because it corresponds to about 50mm lens in 35mm cameras), as some people here propose, is wrong. The right ones would be either 150mm or 250mm."

There's no right or wrong focal length when it comes to portraits. The 80 is the "kit" lens so to speak and is found easily just like 50mm's are to small format.

Thanks again for all your answers. I been wandering through the net for some Hasselblad documentation, it seems the perfect body for what i wanna do. About the lenses, i think two different ones would be perfect, either 80 and 150, if i can find them obviously...But what range of prices are considered reasonnable for it?

At another level, and without any comparisons of quality, i've catched some topics on other forums about the Rollei 35 SE. What do you think about it?

Thanks again!

The RB and RZ are great cameras too. I've completely forgot about the Pentax 6x7, been so long since film was on

my mind! But I'd go with a Pentax 6x7 over a 'blad. There is a lot of little things with 'blads that you need to

keep an eye out for, mainly the felt on the film backs. They wear out and can light leak. Sometimes the springs

in the shutter wear out and aren't accurate as well. But these are a great camera;

http://www.photo.net/equipment/pentax/67

I was referring to the Rolleiflex TLR. It has good 75 or 80mm lenses, either Zeiss or Schneider, and parallax compensation of the viewing screen. The square 6cm image is easy to work with, and reasonably bright. Composition on the screen shows what you get, even though DOF is not apparent.

I own or have used just about every MF system available, but my favorite outfit for portraits is my Minolta XD-11 with 58mm

f1.2 lens. I picked it up for $10 at a local thrift store. This outfit allows me to work quickly and freely, even in low light, and

the quality of the lens is unmatched in any MF line. With modern films and good technique, 35mm negatives can produce

excellent black and white prints up to 11X14, larger with color film. I don't understand using a square format, unless one

intends to print square. Otherwise, a 645 is more efficient, or a 6x7 with a rotating back.

Well Garrison, I still stay with my point of view about portraits, especially close-up portraits, in which Christophe is interested in. I guess you know what the close-up portraits with 50mm or shorter focal-length look like? Isn't the nose a bit out of proportion...? But anyway, I hope Christophe that you got the answers you were looking for. Good luck and I am looking forward seeing results of your portrait shootings.