Wise to download newer version of DPP?

derrickdehaan

Is it wise to download the newest version of DPP? I have 3.3 that came with my 40D and the Canon website has a

3.4 version listed. Do most of you folks download newer versions? If so, is the older version automatically removed?

Thanks for any and all info. Sorry if this has been covered, but I could not find an answer with the search that met

my needs.

Thanks for the help folks,

Derrick

Read before installing any software. In theory, new version should work out bugs from earlier versions and, on occasion, add new features and/or improvement. However, occasionally they also introduce new bugs. Which brings us to the eternal question: if each new versions gets rid of the buds of the older versions, will there every be a bug free version of any software?

DPP has been pretty bug free. I always update when a new version is released, and so far no problems. If you have a version already installed, the new version will update it, not install as a new application.

I'm currently using v.3.4.1.1 and it seems fine.

I agree with Giampi, there will never be a bug free software. One way to decide is to look at the number of

downloads the application has. If its relativity low, then stay away, hidden bugs are waiting. If its high, alot

of bugs have shown themselves and they are being worked on.

Rob it might not be too hard to get that picture, there are quite a few politicians that were pilots :)

And I agree with Bob too, I seldom have issues with any of the DPP upgrades. except them turning off the docking

of the tool pallet! Why dont they answer me!

Hi Derrick,

It's always a good idea to get the latest version. I do so even with a new item and, when I can, skip what's on the CD.

In the case of DPP, there are lenses and functionality being added all the time. So, keep up to date with it.

I don't really use it a lot, but do "pre-process" some difficult images through it before passing them off to Photoshop for the remainder of the work. I especially prefer using DPP for Noise Reduction with higher ISO images. I feel it does a better job with NR than my version of Photoshop does (CS2). But, have to say that for me with DPP this is only on an image by image basis, so I do all I can with Adobe ACR and Bridge, to speed up batch processing.

I have the newest DPP and it works great on my Mac. Since 2003, can say the Canon upgrades have always proved better

every time. Unlike MS Office, I've never needed to downgrade! Canon added more lenses to the distortion/aberration

database as well as a few minor features. Most of my favs lenses are in in there now.

The Light fall-off correction is funny. I usually prefer the image with some light fall-off. Of course I oft burn in the edges of

images so it must be my taste.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Well, I guess I should have elaborated a tad. i used to shoot with a Rebel XTi, but bought a 40D a couple months ago. I use DPP occasionally, but noticed there was a newer version. Today I downloaded and all was fine. I have just always been of the mindset that "if its not broke, don't fix it." I was hoping they added more lenses and I hope that they continue to in the future. thanks everyone for the responses (even the humorous ones).

Derrick