Tamron 17-50 Delayed, looking for useful lens for now, that will still be useful later

chris.sager

I know this is an odd question, but here does anyway.

I purchased a Rebel XTi, Tamron 17-50 F2.8, Canon 50 F1.8 and a 430EX recently. I purchased them all through

Dell (I have a wholesale account) and got the Tamron for roughly $320 (good deal). The lens is now delayed until

early August.

Normally this wouldnt pose an issue as I am realitively patient guy. I'm getting married a week from saturday and

was planning on having the gear for the honeymoon and for an uncle to take candids at the rehearsal dinner and

such.

SO. . . . Here's the question. I need something wider than 50MM to make the camera a bit more useful for the

honeymoon. I dont want to buy something in the 17-50 range really, as I had already decided to have the Tamron as

the lens in this range. When i buy a telephoto i think it will be the 55-250 as I think its a pretty good value after

taking some test shots at a local camera store.

My thoughts. Some sort of wide prime that would augment the 17-50 although i'm not sure which prime that would

be in the Canon world. Sure the 24L would be awesome, but as you can tell from my kit above, i dont have that sort

of cash to spend here. Another thought is the Tokina 11-16; stock is tight on these and this would be at the

absolute limit of my poor man's pre wedding budget.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I'd recomend the Canon 35 F2, or Sigma F1.8 in 24 or 28mm. all of these options are in the $300 ball park. If you are going to get a prime to eventually back up the 17-50 make it a fast one (at least F2). No point in skimping and gettting an F2.8 because your zoom already does that and it would be just redundant/backup. With the faster aperture you can actually get somethign out of the lens you couldn't from the zoom, very shallow DOF, nicer bokeh.

With just your 50 and one of the above lenses you should be able to cover just about anything with a littel "sneaker zoom" technique. Keep the other lens in a pocket when not in use.

The other option is to find a Calumet or orther semi pro store and rent something in that zoom range.

The problem is buying the lens through Dell. Many times Dell offers prices that are unbelievably low to snag your

business, but you'll wait forever - or longer. And eventually cancel.

The Tamron 17-50 is a great lens. Cancel with Dell an buy it through a normal source.

www.citysnaps.net

>>> Brad - i certainly thought of this as an option, but it appears most reputable etailers are also out of stock. B&H,

Adorama, Calumet, Beach Camera and Amazon are all out of stock.

Ah, OK, didn't know it was that popular. I got mine at a local store - think it was $450...

www.citysnaps.net